• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oracal vs 3M

ams

For those of you who use 3M, what is the reason you use that brand? I am curious. Is it because it's popular? Is it good vinyl? the high price equals a better product?

I've used Oracal, 3M, Avery, LG, Arlon, etc.
Oracal has never failed me, no roll problems, no adhesive problems, no ink problems, contouring and rapid air is great, removal is easy, etc.

I replace a ton of 3M vinyl that other competitors use, many stores and companies ask us to fix the job or replace a job that other sign company has done, most of the time it's a 3M vinyl.
National companies ship 3M to me and I install for them and it never sticks well and it cracks and peels after a short term.

I recently had a major issue with Avery Translucent as the laminate wouldn't stick to it and the laminate ended up falling off.

But 3M is by far the most expensive vinyl out there that I've seen and I never had any luck with it.

By the way I am stating facts from my point of view and many years of use of different brands. This isn't bashing the company due to disliking them, I use a little 3M stuff, just not vinyl.
Due to problems I've had I am curious about your point of view with it.

Oh and also, there is no need to say "You just don't know how to use it", trust me I have an excellent track record. I am hoping this stays civil.

Gene@mpls

3M is a hometown company and a good company. When I first saw Oracal at a tradeshow I thought- more crap. Now all my print media is Orajet- we still use some 3m colored vinyl (and have a hundred (partial) rolls on the wall but now we buy 10 yards instead of a roll and the supply companies often don't stock any but the most popular colors. And they will have a splice
if you do buy 50yards. 3M developed the vinyl industry and then did not keep up with any innovations.

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Use both, on the print quality side I prefer the pop we get from Oracle, the installers prefer 3M for instals but only by a very slight margin. For some reason on the Rolands the 3M seems less likely to incur head strikes than the Oracle if not using clips. As to pricing I find them to be about neck and neck, you might have to work with your distributor a little on that? As to Lam, def 210 for the Cal stuff and either 3M 5818 or Oragaurd 290 work well for us.

ams

I've been lucky to not have found any splices yet, but good to know they are out there so I can watch for them.
I often buy 10 yard rolls as well for cut vinyl, I am guessing you use Fellers also?

I use Oraguard 210 and 290, both are good, I learned never to put 290 lam on the Avery Translucent vinyl, it doesn't stick and falls off. I am still scratching my head after that one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All of them work and all of them have mucho failures. Go with the one you like and feel comfortable in using. As long as no one is dictating your specs, it's still a free country.

visual800

All of them work and all of them have mucho failures. Go with the one you like and feel comfortable in using. As long as no one is dictating your specs, it's still a free country.

and there you go! try them and see what you like.

Personally I use oracal its has performed well and its less expensive than 3M

Gene@mpls

I've been lucky to not have found any splices yet, but good to know they are out there so I can watch for them.
I often buy 10 yard rolls as well for cut vinyl, I am guessing you use Fellers also?

I use Oraguard 210 and 290, both are good, I learned never to put 290 lam on the Avery Translucent vinyl, it doesn't stick and falls off. I am still scratching my head after that one.

I think this was a response to my post- I avoid the cowboy and use N.Glantz and Grimco mostly. Also have not used Avery since the huge failures a number of years ago.

Gene@mpls

I cannot remember the last time we had a failure I was fairly sure was bad vinyl... admit that my memory is failing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I cannot remember the last time we had a failure I was fairly sure was bad vinyl... admit that my memory is failing.

All that really means is..... you're beating the odds. :rock-n-roll:

About 6 or 8 months ago, we had a 54" roll of air egress vinyl which had a very thin cut about 15" into the roll from beginning to end. Didn't notice it on the first maybe 25' or so. Called them and they said, we'll replace it. They never replaced it. I still have the roll. Never received any credit either. It's more like having a 36" roll on hand. However, that doesn't stop me from using it. I guess they're allowed to f*ck up here and there, huh ??

Happy New Year​

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I've gotten funky rolls from both here and there and so far have been lucky with replacements so far. They both have there qualities, personally I feel Oracles cast handles heavy dark salutations better than 3Ms does and for certain vehicles or applications 3M, I like having both on hand especially when a customer specs 3M, I just make sure I keep god track of which was used on what for down the road. It's kind of like cell phone companies, they can all be stinkers at some point on something.

ams

The problem with Grimco is they have a $500 minimum and Fellers is $100 for free shipping. Fellers tends to be a little high, but my local sales rep gets me about 10% off most vinyls, check your area for one.
I avoid NGlantz, I use them for LEDs, but they only delivery once a week with their own vans and when I order something they ask how I am using them and try to sell me on something different.

I've also used UScutter, Advantage Sign Supply and others a tiny bit for specialty items.

Andy D

For color plot vinyl, we only use 3M Translucent 3630 series, I have bought thousands of 4' x 50 yard rolls and
have never had an issue that I know of. We use Orajet for printing and never had an issue with that either...
I hope my luck doesn't run out.

ams

So the main reason for this topic is that about 5 years ago I was on here and several other sign forums praising Oracal products because I fell in love with them and was basically kicked out the door. Everyone was against me and it was like a crazy Anti-Oracal all hail 3M crowd, mainly due to the fact that I was trying to help newbies out by suggesting they buy Oracal. So I was curious as to what the hype was about.

Good to know things are more civil here, I can finally return.

ORAFOL Americas

Merchant Member
ORAFOL Splice Free Guarantee

Thank y'all for starting out my new year with a little bit of ORAFOL love. Nice to hear that many of our products are staples on your shelf.

I am want to be sure y'all are aware of our "Splice-Free Guarantee". This guarantee covers all products except ORACAL 341 and ORALITE reflective products. If you find a splice, save the splice and contact our technical support team at 888-672-2251.

Happy New Year!

Andy D

If you can provide a sample of the actual splice, send it to technical support for review and if it is truly a splice you will receive $500.00.

That's a awesome policy. A friend wanted me to ask, does the $500 have to be a check made out to the company I work for, or can it be wire to a account in the Cayman Islands?