• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ORAJET 3651 or 3M IJ35C? Help Me Choose..

Sven

I'm looking for medium grade print vinyl for short to medium term indoor and outdoor signs. I want it to be or have:
- matte finish
- grey solvent-based adhesive
- preferably air release (hopefully not visible!)

I know 3651 has a bluish look and no air release, which I don't like, but I've heard its a better quality and more reliable vinyl than IJ35C. I'm also considering Avery MPI 2923 EZ, but it seems not to sell much and I've been reading some complaints about Avery. Any personal experience positive or negative is what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!

gnatt66

ive mowed through 10+ rolls of ij35c over the winter but i dont use it for long term stuff. i was a 3165RA guy but it never contour cut after lam very well. the thinner 3M did. it does the job and is priced right. i still use oracal 200/210 lam with it however.

3651 is something i stock and use but its kinda thin for my uses.

peavey123

We switched from IJ35 to 3651 a few months ago. Mainly due to price. 3651RA is the air release version.

Sven

ive mowed through 10+ rolls of ij35c over the winter but i dont use it for long term stuff. i was a 3165RA guy but it never contour cut after lam very well. the thinner 3M did. it does the job and is priced right. i still use oracal 200/210 lam with it however.

3651 is something i stock and use but its kinda thin for my uses.

Thanks. Just curious about your meaning of "long term" for IJ35C. It's rated "up to 5 years", but what's realistic?--two, three, four? I know it depends on sunlight, temperature, etc. Just trying to get an idea..

Sven

We switched from IJ35 to 3651 a few months ago. Mainly due to price. 3651RA is the air release version.

Yes it is air release, but they don't have a matte version. I know I can laminate with matte, but I'd rather not for indoor stuff. Also, in the FELLERS catalog, the 3651A is about $60 more than IJ35..

rturner381

Matte finish, air realease, grey backer?

Have you considered Instant One Media, an advertiser on S101. Their 54" x 150 is $129.99 a roll.

InstantOneMedia

Sven,
Our Vinyl is comparable to both the 3651 and IJ35. It is Air-Release, 4yr, Gray Adhesive, and removable. It's only $130 a roll, and our Laminate is $99. Visit our website, www.InstantOneMedia.com, or give us a call, 404.228.6329, and we'll get some samples out to you.

TheSnowman

Hey Instant One,

What is your laminate backing paper like? I'm using the Big Squeegee and found that Arlon works the same every time because of the thick backing, as opposed to Oracal which is very thin, and doesn't lay down well with the Big Squeegee. If it's more like the Arlon, I may try it out.

InstantOneMedia

Hey Instant One,

What is your laminate backing paper like? I'm using the Big Squeegee and found that Arlon works the same every time because of the thick backing, as opposed to Oracal which is very thin, and doesn't lay down well with the Big Squeegee. If it's more like the Arlon, I may try it out.

Our backing is 3.1 mil. We have some customers that use it with the Big Squeegee, but then we also have some that like "how thin the backing is." Let call or PM us, and we'll get a sample out to you.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Synergy, I ordered that material from Josh along with the laminate. We love the Laminate just ordered 2 more rolls, the film, if you are used to IJ35c like we are, is very different. Getting air out is a lot easier then the 35 but the adhesive is a lot more aggressive initially and it takes some getting used too.

We will be reordering when we run out of this roll, hopefully longevity matches the 35 and we don't have any unforseen issues.

painterjrm

I'm liking the IJ35 less...

I've used the ij35 extensively the last 4+ years and recently have been getting complaints about failed adhesive. My rep from Pioneer in Pittsburgh says he wouldn't use it except on "dirty coroplast". I'm starting to think he's right. 3M quality just ain't what it used to be across the spectrum of the products they manufacture. I did use about 6 rolls of the 3651 for a big billboard project last fall. Still looks good after the nastiest winter in modern history. I'm thinking of switching to orajet exclusively.

HiDesign

We have used 3651 and 3165gra for over 8 years here in Queensland. My sp540 loves it and have never had a failure. Everything gets lam'd with 210. Even the 3M reps here acknowledge that it's a great product. I thought the 3M equivalent would be ij40, not 35.

1leonchen

ij35 is good. last a nice time in hot and sunny conditions. the matching laminate from 3m i dont like. i rather the thinner oracal laminate. oracal works just as good. never tested the longevity. i did some stuff one year ago still looks good. want to test the one media and big fish products but Grimco release the briteline air release. but the time i ship the one media and big fish its the same. so i gonna try bright line new media. if u are looking to do temporary signs. all of them are great. i just was used to 3m so i like it a bit more on install oracal prints better.

2B

We have used 3651 and 3165gra for over 8 years here in Queensland. My sp540 loves it and have never had a failure. Everything gets lam'd with 210. Even the 3M reps here acknowledge that it's a great product. I thought the 3M equivalent would be ij40, not 35.

+1 was under the same assumption

and the 210 is a great cal lam