• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oralite 5600 Reflective Vinyl - Has anybody ever tried wet applying?

WhatsYourSign?

Our install team is having difficulty installing Oralite 5600 reflective vinyl on a police car.

The moment the vinyl touches the vehicle, it sticks and there's no ability to work with it at all.

We're seeing lots of air bubbles and it's not working very well around the contour lines of the vehicle.

Looking at the official installation instructions, it doesn't say it should be wet applied. However, when we tested a scrap piece with wet apply, it seems to install a hundred times better if wet applied.

Do any of you have experience with this material? Any insight you can provide?

Wet app is fine, we have done it. They released 5650ra years ago to aid in complex installs, have you guys tried that?

Thanks for that little bit of info. I had no idea there is an air release version available. We have considered switching to 3M reflective just for that reason, but prefer to use Oralite.

Last edited:

Eveny Medeiros

Finesse Graphic Solutions
We've wet applied it but after so many installs we started dry applying the striping/lettering very slowly and with lots of pressure. Depending on how large the decals are we typically need a 2nd set of hands so it doesn't touch or pull too hard to bruise. We just switched to 3m but not for that reason-client request, getting ready to do our 1st install with that tomorrow.

Dan360

Used to wet apply at first, but switched to dry after some issues. The other guy here still wet applies and I have to get all the bubbles out after him. I think it's just technique, but I got away with both.

WhatsYourSign?

We've wet applied it but after so many installs we started dry applying the striping/lettering very slowly and with lots of pressure. Depending on how large the decals are we typically need a 2nd set of hands so it doesn't touch or pull too hard to bruise. We just switched to 3m but not for that reason-client request, getting ready to do our 1st install with that tomorrow.

We're considering the 3M.

Will you let me know how that goes tomorrow?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't really say wet apply as much as a very light mist. Very light. Water/liquids are not good with reflective. It can cause other problems down the road.

unclebun

I note that the OP has in their profile they haven't been in business very long. I would submit that he needs to practice his vinyl installing skills, as most newbies have pretty much limited themselves to wraps and wrap vinyl. When dealing with reflective graphics, or any cut vinyl graphics for that matter, your goal should be that the vinyl is stuck down immediately when you squeegee it on, and there is no "working with it" to be had. That's how regular vinyl is meant to go on, and when you do it with the right technique, there are few to no bubbles.

SlikGRFX

I used to laminate all my reflective vinyls on to standard polymeric vinyl before cutting. I would match the base vinyl to the vehicle colour, usually black or white.

It was mainly to help with future removal as removing reflective is a complete pain. It also made the install easier due to the thicker material and less aggressive adhesive. You'll need a good blade to cut it cleanly.

This also works well for metallised PVC such as chrome etc which always leaves the glue behind when you remove it.

Superior_Adam

Use the 5650RA. We install 4'x8' pieces on aluminum all the time for the Air Force base here. It is very easy to work with and does not get air bubbles.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Pretty sure that if you wet apply you've blown any warranty out the window from the manufacturer.

Reflective is not an easy material to install and takes a trial and error to get the swing of it. I've been making signs for 18 years and even i ask for help with reflective occasionally.

Some tips: use a hinge method and apply small sections at a time if possible. If you're layering, get your hands on some silicone paper to make your life easier. I have a roll of it that was 50yds when purchased in the late 80s to early 90s and I still have at least 30yds of it. The stuff lasts forever.

strypguy

I dry apply most these days if it's not too large of a graphic or stripe, but I've wet-applied many different reflective materials for over 24 years with no issues. I think a lot is in the application method, using a good flat squeegee, and the solution you use. I was also a professional window tint installer and we always used baby shampoo and water for tinting of course and for the occasional striping or graphics. Very little baby shampoo is the key for reflective material. Just enough to help aid in installation but not so much that it slides around for days. Just my 2 cents. John

jono Shaw

Just to add to this, wet applying will void any manufacturer warranty and on ESV vehicles that’s a big NO NO.
Always apply dry, hinged and using a new squeegee per vehicle.
Try applying with application tape over any engineering grade vinyl until you have the correct technique.
Also when hinging, tape cross the top layer with 50% of the tape on the vinyl and 50% on the vehicle.. then do the same again using 2” tape on the top of the first layer of tape. This gives you enough room to start your squeegee stroke on the tape and sets the vinyl up nicely

jono Shaw

Also squeegee should be almost horizontal with only a slight angle either way, wouldn’t attempt trying to apply more than an inch per stroke at first