• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ordering a safety ruler tomorrow. One Day Too Late!

Speedsterbeast

Cut the tip of my index finger off today on a 45 degree angle almost to the top of the nail.
Happened first thing this morning.
I am very angry at myself and absolutely horrified that my guitar playing days may be over (fret hand).
My dad was a carpenter and boat builder his whole life (and a great guitar player) A couple years ago before he died while he was in the hospital, I asked him how he managed to keep all his digits while working with tools his whole life. He gave me some great advice. He said whenever he was doing anything with a tool from a screwdriver to a power tool. He ALWAYS thought only about what he was doing and NOTHING else until he put the tool down.
Well I really took that to heart and programmed my brain to do the same and thought about his exact words on a daily basis.
I guess today there was a glitch in the program and I forgot his words.
I looked away while making a cut on some print media and the next thing I knew there was a piece of my finger on the table in front of me.

So a safety ruler for sure (although most of you probably know that already) and if you don't, get one too. (unless you use a cutter of some sort) I really think I am one of the most careful people around. Always wear PPE when relevant etc. etc. But take it from me, it only takes a fraction of second to mess things up.

I'm pretty depressed tonight, so please none of the "serves you right for not using a safety ruler" stuff. I just wanted to share this to make people think a little safer, even if only for a day or two.

Maybe in a couple months I'll try and learn a little slide guitar.
Maybe there's a blues song out there to be written
"Woke up this morning,
Cut my Finger off....."

Si Allen

20 years from now ... you will look back at today and laugh!

Your finger will heal and you will learn to live with it!

John in Cali

Yep, you will be fine. Guitar days will be back soon.

Note: Safety Ruler will require a perfectly level work surface. I had to order some safety rulers after my production assistant cut his fingers...twice...in 2 weeks. He was the best assistant I could ever ask for, but sometimes he was a bit thickheaded.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm with Si Allen - this too shall pass.
I also don't have a safety ruler but use the manual safety method.
"Manuel come here and cut this for me."

If you want to hear a real tragedy (to cheer you up);

This morning I went to plug in the shop coffee maker (64cup).
The end that attaches to the base shorted and blew out across the counter.
With lightening quick reflexes I jerked my hand away and sent my favorite coffee cup flying off the counter.
This left me with no coffee - no way to make coffee and nothing to put it in even if I could make it.... and it was not yet 7am.

hang in there

wayne k
guam usa

jayhawksigns

Been there, done that.

We had every other employee cut themselves to some degree with a plain ruler. Then I finally did it, about as good as yours sounded, and the employee that was helping me freaked out more then I did. Needless to say, after I marked and dated the ruler where my finger was, I ordered us a pretty new safety ruler. Now I get on anyone cutting without using one of them.

Williams Signs

My mom played the guitar for years. Then one day she cut all four fingers off with a skill saw. Lost the last joint in her fingers when they fused the finger tips back on. She didn't let that stop her she started playing a bass. You should be fine for playing before long.

Speedsterbeast

I'm with Si Allen - this too shall pass.
I also don't have a safety ruler but use the manual safety method.
"Manuel come here and cut this for me."

If you want to hear a real tragedy (to cheer you up);

This morning I went to plug in the shop coffee maker (64cup).
The end that attaches to the base shorted and blew out across the counter.
With lightening quick reflexes I jerked my hand away and sent my favorite coffee cup flying off the counter.
This left me with no coffee - no way to make coffee and nothing to put it in even if I could make it.... and it was not yet 7am.

hang in there

wayne k
guam usa

Actually, it happened while I was on my first cup of coffee and when I got back from the hospital, the pot had shut off and my second cup was cold. So it was even more of a tragic day than I had first thought.

I'm going to bed and try and sleep with my hand on my chest all night.
Got a piece of metal strapping around the finger in case I roll over in my sleep. Im which case. No alarm clock necessary.
It really hasn't hurt all day like I would have expected it to, but I worked all day with it, so tomorrow might be another story.

Bly

I bet you won't do that again.

I've done it - working on a rush job. Only did it the once though.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It'll heal, just be patient.

An old timer once told me... never, and I mean never.... lose respect for any tool. One stoopid mistake can really cost you if you become over-confident.

Dakotagrafx

Attachments

• SimplexGB.jpg
    SimplexGB.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 85

OldPaint

the only dumb thing i ever did with a sharp object.......was when i 1st started cutting vinyl. i had an exacto knife on the weeding table, it started to roll off and i wasnt able to stop it with my hand..............so quick thinking me.......i stuck my foot under where it was gona fall!!!!!! nobody told me those things, when they fall...........HIT POINT 1ST!!!!! shoulda seen the blood ..INSIDE MY BOAT SHOE)))))))))))))))

CentralSigns

I did it twice. Slow learner. Just got healed up from the first cut and cut it off the second time. The nurse at the hospital couldn't believe it the second time. It was a pain to stop the bleeding. Its been about 6 months now, gotta be careful of hot and cold the feeling of them comes real quick. Finger looks kind of pointed on one side. Got a safety ruler now, can't afford the downtime again.

Custom_Grafx

Thanks. I hope it's much less than twenty years. But Thanks.

I guillotined the tip of my finger off just over 20 years ago. I am still emotionally dysfunctional as a result.

No really... I think I was ok about the whole thing a few weeks later! You'll be ok, just live in the now... important thing is, get it looked after... last thing you want is an infection. Keep it clean and dressed and it'll heal quick. Good luck.

Locals Find!

I would suggest using a cutting glove to anyone working with a sharp blade. You can get them at any chef/restaurant supply store.

A good one is made of chain mail. I think I gave $75 for mine years ago. I use it anytime I am cutting whether on a sign or in the kitchen. Its just good practice to use one on the hand not holding the blade.

Speedsterbeast

Wow, it looks like a common injury in this field.
I don't feel quite as stupid as I did yesterday.
Still feeling a little stupid though.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wow, it looks like a common injury in this field.
I don't feel quite as stupid as I did yesterday.
Still feeling a little stupid though.

Stupid?? I thought you were just feeling depressed.

Here is stupid:

I got a piece of metal in my eye grinding without goggles.
I let it sit too long and my eye healed over it. At the eye clinic they had to use a small grinding wheel to dig down and get it out.
Now the stupid part:
I did it again - grinding without goggles.
Instead of waiting this time I went into the shop bathroom and took it out - with an Exacto knife.
My only excuse - I was in my 20's then and didn't have the cash for another eye clinic visit.
I still have two good(sort of good) eyes but am much smarter now and grind with goggles on....

Hope you are feeling better today.
wayne k
guam usa

CanuckSigns

Stupid?? I thought you were just feeling depressed.

Here is stupid:

I got a piece of metal in my eye grinding without goggles.
I let it sit too long and my eye healed over it. At the eye clinic they had to use a small grinding wheel to dig down and get it out.
Now the stupid part:
I did it again - grinding without goggles.
Instead of waiting this time I went into the shop bathroom and took it out - with an Exacto knife.
My only excuse - I was in my 20's then and didn't have the cash for another eye clinic visit.
I still have two good(sort of good) eyes but am much smarter now and grind with goggles on....

Hope you are feeling better today.
wayne k
guam usa

The thought of sticking an exacto knife anywhere near my eye makes me queezy