Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OSHA specs?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by skyhigh, Oct 2, 2012.

1. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I've made a few of these in the past, but now I'm asked to make a couple hundred of these signs. These are going to be 7" x 10" overall.

I'm sure there must be some "standards" out there to follow??? I can't find them if there is.

This is what I've done in the past, but I don't want to find out "after" making hundreds, that these are wrong.

Does anyone have the specs for these type of signs?

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Appreciate the link jhill......but I'm not looking to outsource.

I'm wanting to know if my layout meets any OSHA specs there may be.

3. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    you can use the link to check the sizes and such as Setons are OSHA signs. the thing you'll want to make sure of is the Danger or if Notice is what it should say

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    yeah thats why i linked it

5. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
  6. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    Here is a picture I copied from Fire&Safety Co. The font for DANGER is totally different than seton or emedco, yet they say OSHA compliant also.

This font looks like what I've seen in the past.......NOT seton's or emedco's.

I don't want to guess what is correct.

Attached Files:

• F&S.jpg
      F&S.jpg
      File size:
      19.6 KB
      Views:
  7. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    They don't actually have specifics for each sign (ie. font, exact shape). Just has to have the correct information and follow some simple guides. OSHA regulates the safety of the actual sign design. Signs need to have rounded or blunt corners and cannot have sharp edges or projections. Red, black and white are the colors designated for danger signs. Caution signs have a yellow background, and the panel is black with yellow letters. Text used on the yellow background must be black. It requires the wording of safety signs to indicate positive actions rather than negative, and to be concise and easy to read.

8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I would call your client and explain to them there are several OSHA compliant ways of making this particular sign. Let them sign off on the one they like and then any problems will be theirs, since you can't produce anything in concrete to them.

It seems I remember something about the oval needing to have block lettering at a certain size, which they all have in common, just so long as it's a block.

Copy underneath is usually as large as possible [block again] and still be legible depending on the copy.

9. skyhigh

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    DING DING DING DING.
    This is the correct answer. I finally got thru to my OSHA rep in Erie, PA who told me this (almost word for word). They also gave me their name and contact info.

Thanks GMR55

10. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    No problem! It's a Q though not a G ;)

Glad you got it solved! We have dealt with this same issue before doing hundreds of signs and wanted to make sure we weren't held liable to have to re do all the signs!

11. Tom Dalton

Tom Dalton Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Illinois
    For standardized OSHA designs, I also find it useful to use this as a resource...

https://www.ultimatesymbol.com/product.php?cid=50

That image collection has a large number of universal OSHA safety symbols and has a good number complete sign designs. It has all of them on CD as well as in print.

-Tom

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2013
  12. Tom Dalton

Tom Dalton Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Illinois