• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our city gets 10% of the electronic sign?

binki

I just heard this from our city. If you have an electronic sign, part of the permitting process is the city gets 10% of the messages on the sign.

here is the section of the code:

That public service messages shall constitute 10 percent of the messages displayed during each one-hour period. These public service messages are in addition to the required time and temperature displays. All public service messages shall be subject to city approval and shall be reviewed on an annual basis, or as deemed necessary

Is this done anywhere else?

Salmoneye

Demanded unfunded mandates with censorship as well? You know, you do own a sign shop and 10,000. political yard signs with valid criticism of your city councils ineptitude would go a long way. They are also protected by free speech and the law. Maybe they will tell the dress shop what percent of dresses will have to be what length (under the guise of public interest of course). I have government, but I also don't have time to serve... Ugh!

Pat Whatley

Well that explains a lot. Those distracting monstrosities should be banned but they'll allow them as long as they get to use them..

Salmoneye

They are just mandating public service messages Pat, not 10% of the revenue. I can't believe that they demand to censor and approve the public service message that you post as well.

Salmoneye

Make 20% of your messages anti city in protest! When they try to intimidate you have your lawyer send them a letter asking if they really want to go there while messaging the details of your harassment the whole time on your electronic reader.

binki

We have one of these in the city and I was looking at it a month or so ago and wondering why they had ads for a local restaurant on it. Now I know. The city loaned 300K to this guy to open. He isn't making any money so he stopped paying the city back and now they have to advertise for him to get their money back.

Craig Sjoquist

When did Hitler take over, wish I owned a electronic sign I put 90% bashing the city, county, state, federal laws

Who do they think they are, and Why did this happen .what's next

Mainframe

Put a price on advertising on the board, check the street traffic count, & calculate what you think 10% might be, advertise space on the board for rent at that price, then you will have a number on what the city is demanding you give them. This is a number you can use to argue your point of it being unfair, does the TV station have to do this? Or radio? I don't know that answer, but I would make them give you a receipt for that amount for your taxes, they are demanding a product be "donated" should be a way to turn it into a nice write off.

signswi

What Mainframe said sounds good and lobby your alderman, those dudes are usually bored and looking for a reason to stir up trouble.

jrsc

I look at it this way. The section of code you posted says 10% of the time must be used for city public service messages. What it doesn't say is that you must display them for free. Charge them $50 every time you display their message and you can pay that sign off real quick.