• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our first large wrap - time?

neonlady

Hello folks!

So let me ask not to be beaten up too badly, as this is our first large wrap and I know what's it like to get newbies in the field asking a lot of questions.

We've been in the sign industry for decades, mainly making neon, but have done our share of vinyl installs. This is, by far, the largest we have done, not to mention the one with the most rivets!

The client provided the vinyl, as it was donated to them. We know them personally, and so they asked us to install it.

What I would like to know is:
• How long would it take an average installer to install this?
• If you were charging for the installation only, how you you go about it?
• What do you see the value to be? (Ok I know it's priceless, but give me a realistic number please!)

This took us (remember, newbie) 20 hours plus a couple of hours of futzing with layers and deciding how to go about it. How far off are we?

Thanks in advance!:thankyou:
Pat
AKA Neonlady

Attachments

• Birch Reefer.jpg
    Birch Reefer.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:

Malkin

I would have been around 10 hours, but we don't specialize in just wraps either, and some of the guys on this forum would probably be half of that even.

I would just charge our hourly shop rate to install customer vinyl, though I really don't like doing it.

CanuckSigns

we would also be at around 10 hours, but we don't do many wraps.

Someone Like Colorado or Prowraps would most likely be at around 4-5 hours, but they do this all day every day

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Prep time would be about an hour. Getting everything organized, so we had all the pieces in order, ladders in place and walk planks and such about another 20 minutes or so. To do the back, maybe 45 minutes to an hour. Each side about 3 hours. I don't know if there's anything at the top on the front, but if so, another 1/2 hour. Clean up and put everything away.... another 1/2 hour. This is all based on two people for us. Keeping in mind Murphy's Law.... a full day.

So, all in all for two guys between 14 and 16 billable hours. You do the math for your shop rate.

Wraptrick

I could put this on in about eight hours with someone helping, and I would price this at between $2-3/sq ft, depending on hardware and rivets.

neonlady

Thanks for the info. There were just under 1k rivets on each side. :-(

At 20 hours I knew we were slow, as were were being extra cautious due to the size of the panels, but it does help to know, with practice, where we should be.

So, with 455 sq ft., would it be fair to figure a value around $1350 - $1400?

CanuckSigns

Thanks for the info. There were just under 1k rivets on each side. :-(

At 20 hours I knew we were slow, as were were being extra cautious due to the size of the panels, but it does help to know, with practice, where we should be.

So, with 455 sq ft., would it be fair to figure a value around $1350 - $1400?

I think that sounds about fair.

neonlady

Thank you! We have been informed that there is a second similar truck, so I guess we'll have to see how fast we can do that one!