• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our National Anthem

S

SignTech

Posted on my Facebook: Christine Aguilera, is an over the top, awesome musician, singer, song writer and excellent human being in general. She missed a small lyric segment at the Super Bowl while singing... and now those pretentious critical humans, who can barely contribute a decent handshake to their neighbors ... rip her apart. Get over it, she made an error ... wonder how many errors all you, up in arms people ... make daily, hourly ...

Directed at no one ... general statement.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Really?

It seem to me that when someone authors a piece of music, whatever it might be, that the writer puts exactly the notes it wants in exactly the order it wants. Seldom, if ever, does one see a piece of music with a notation between two notes telling the performer to improvise between these two notes as it might see fit. One can change the key, tempo, the arrangement, the phrasing, but the notes are the notes and they, and they alone, define the work.

Just perform the notes that were written. Nothing is ever made better by inserting paroxysms of yodeling and screeching.

Seems you left out growling.............. Some of those notes had the sound of an angry dog..... and she even had the look on her face of a mad dog. :rolleyes:

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Posted on my Facebook: Christine Aguilera, is an over the top, awesome musician, singer, song writer and excellent human being in general. She missed a small lyric segment at the Super Bowl while singing... and now those pretentious critical humans, who can barely contribute a decent handshake to their neighbors ... rip her apart. Get over it, she made an error ... wonder how many errors all you, up in arms people ... make daily, hourly ...

Feh.

The ability to detect a clam in a performance has nothing whatsoever to do with one's ability to perform.

Moreover, making various mistakes as one lurches through life does not preclude anyone from criticizing what is generally considered a ghastly performance. Made even more ghastly since you hold that the alleged performer is in fact a musical goddess. She should have known better. She's the one that agreed to do it then screwed it up beyond recognition. No matter how many nor how grievous the mistakes made by anyone else, it does not excuse this miserable presentation.

While you might consider her some sort of exceptional talent, she gives every impression of being Yet Another mediocre performer interchangeable, perhaps in mid-note, with a legion of other mediocre performers.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Always thought this should be our National Anthem anyway.

Never.

To all those who think that the current national anthem should be replaced with this bit of schmaltz or, shudder, America the Beautiful, or perhaps the Mickey Mouse Club March, I would suspect that not a one of you has ever been outside of this country and heard the Star Spangled Banner performed. If you had, you'd never want to change it.

Baz

Toldja.
Now if I could only find one of him singing the Star Spangled Banner.

Here you go Jill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pTAIA9iQPA

The Ottawa Senators are my home town team. I have heard Constable Lyndon Slewidge sing so many times i now wish they would change performers. Then again ... After last night's awfull performance by both Christina A. and the BEP i think "be carefull what you wish for". Better stick with Lyndon.He does do a great job! :thumb:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Baz.......................

I never get tired or hearing it. :wavingflag:

.​

Marlene

laying some funk on it is OK if it is an old Brady Bunch tune, but leave it out of the National Anthem. really like the Canadian cops version as it sounds like it was intended to sound. isn't there also a 9-11 cop or fire fighter that sings it really well too?

WrapperX

I highly doubt she doesn't know the words. She's been singing it at events since she was eleven. I think the biggest thing is that it shows that even the biggest of stars and most experienced professional singers get nervous and our suseptable to flubs. It was unfortunate for her to have it happen on one of the biggest stages of all time.

As for the improvisations and personalizations that modern singers put on it, well thats so that people can set them apart from the average singers. However, something as sacred as our National Anthem should be left alone and kept to a standard above any other publicly sung songs. Sure, we know you can sing, sure we know you are an experienced vocalist. But that doesn't mean you need to turn a 2 minute song into a 5 minute song.

Firefox

The real mistake was made by the Super Bowl organizers.

I am sure Christina Aaag did the best she could with her limited range and and mental capacity. She was just not the right choice.