• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our Roland Technician can't figure out - 0800800 / Can't get into service mode

premiercolour

Merchant Member
We picked up a XC540 from a bank repo. Comestically looks fine. When we powered on the machine, it says scan motor error 0800800. I decided to hire a Roand technician to take a look at. To start, we can manually move the carriage left and right with no problem. After turning on the power, the carriage moves to the left fine but when it was going back to its base, the error appeared every time. We tried to get into service mode, it cannot let us because it jumps right into cleaning. no chance to enter service mode faster than appearing cleaning. Tried other mode, cannot do. Checked out the servo board. it is fine. Checked out the power supply seems ok. I do have another working xc540 aside so we swapped the servo board to make sure. We adjusted the belt tension to the left loosen up. Not working. Visually inspect the encoder strip, clean. The next thing is we want to swap the motor to find if that's the problem. Any good suggestions?

The machine has been sitting in the bank repo for long. No signs of inks coming out of cmy. but machine seems to be in low mileage condition.

Thanks much!

Francis

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Other than what you mentioned, I would clean the encoder even if it looks clean. Also clean the encoder sensor as it collects dust. Try doing a limit position adjustment to make sure that isn't off. Check all cables going into the servo board for damage or corrosion. Service mode changes with machine and firmware. Try this alternative way of getting into service mode:

Back power on front power off - push these buttons in order quickly - down, right, left, up, right, down, left and then push and hold left, down, right front power on. You have to do it quickly for it to work.

bmendes

don't think you will get in into service mode until it does its clean, fast fingers may get in before the cleaning message. Will it error out when it starts to do the clean? Possible limit position setup may help as suggested above, the tool carriage and head carriage need to separate at start-up, if the print carriage moves in to it's lock position but doesn't lock and remains connected to the tool carriage you will get this error, limit position initialise will most likely fix your error.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
Thank you folks for all your suggestions.

The technician couldn't do limit initialize to start or service mode. We got the machine once but it jumps right back to cleaning.

We went ahead and replaced two pulleys, motor and now the error code disappeared. Like usual, new error code came up. It says "Canceled to protect motor". Five out of the six heads are fine. One channel of magenta is missing half of it consistantly. I was thinking about the manifold.

Jack Knight1979

If you pull the main board battery, and reinstall it. Won't that reset the cleaning command? then you can start over with a new limit test, after that, do an encoder test and check all the limit sensors.