• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Out of ink, is there a way to cut?

toomeycustoms

My roland sc-545 just ran out of light cyan ink even though the printer status said both cartridges were half full. I should have ink tommorow, but I have a job that I need to cut. The printer is just beeping and won't let me even sheet cut or get away from ink levels screen. Is there a way to bypass so I can cut these decals or am I SOL till tommorow?

:thankyou:

Drip Dry

I have a Versacam so I'm not sure if it's the same, but isn't there a plastic tab in the cartridge that you can bypass.
I've also heard of taking the cartridge out and draining all the remaining ink to one end.

sfr table hockey

The tab is at the front end of the cart and comes out of a slot. Look at an old cart and see, it should be sticking out 1/8 ish inch.

If the cart is actually empty and that tab has slid out, then the printer will not work. You can some times remove the cart and tip it forward and watch that tab that sticks out. It may slide back in as you tilt the cart down and let the ink remaining run to the front. If this works when you put it back in try to raise the cart in the slot by wedging the cart up ever so slightly. It may just be enough to keep that tab in. Also others have said break the tab off or a piece of tape over it may work.

I am not sure how the printers read that tab but it may just have to stick out a bit to block a censor.

If the chip is out dated and caused the empty cart warning I am not sure what you could do other than to try another chip from another cart but if the chip is for one color only it may not work to just replace the chip.

toomeycustoms

The tab is at the front end of the cart and comes out of a slot. Look at an old cart and see, it should be sticking out 1/8 ish inch.

If the cart is actually empty and that tab has slid out, then the printer will not work. You can some times remove the cart and tip it forward and watch that tab that sticks out. It may slide back in as you tilt the cart down and let the ink remaining run to the front. If this works when you put it back in try to raise the cart in the slot by wedging the cart up ever so slightly. It may just be enough to keep that tab in. Also others have said break the tab off or a piece of tape over it may work.

I am not sure how the printers read that tab but it may just have to stick out a bit to block a censor.

If the chip is out dated and caused the empty cart warning I am not sure what you could do other than to try another chip from another cart but if the chip is for one color only it may not work to just replace the chip.

Thank you. This worked. It took me a few minutes to realize the tab is actually on the side towards the front. I tilted the cart forward till the tab disappeared and then put it back in and it let me get through roll setup.

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Thats some anti-consumer sh!t cant cut without ink...
Like desktop all-in-one printers, some you can't even scan documents to your computer without ink. They all find a way to get into your wallet :rolleyes:

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Judging by the speed with which the OP's problem was solved, I'd guess this was a quirk of design, rather than a feature of malice.

Now though, yeah, haven't chucked us enough cash this month, no scans/prints/cuts/water for you mister.

Jim Hancock

Old School Technician
Just thankful for these past posts when I run into a problem and can search it up here and find the solution!
This is why it's great when people post that the suggested solution works! And people search before asking a question. Homework and feedback, awesome!