• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Out of State and Warranty

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Hi All!
We have a job request to go to another state 1700 miles away...woohoo vacation!
We have done one out of state installation that went well but that van wrap is actually a local business so warranty wasn't an issue. If something would have happened they can just come to our store.

We stand behind everything that we do here at home but can't make a 1700 mile trip should some lifting occur in a wheel well or something. Of course we spell out what is normal and what is not on our Signature page but should something happen what is the best way to handle warranty work?

We can always reprint a panel and work with a local company down there to fix it but that opens another issue...the quality of the shop that is hired to fix it etc.

I know that companies travel and install all the time so I would think that there is an industry standard out there that I can base our warranty on.

The job would be a fleet of 5 vans so it is worth it to do and I get that vacation...!

Any relevant ideas welcome!

T_K

You can warranty the work without covering the cost of travel in the warranty. Companies do it all the time. "Yep, you've got a defective product. Just pay to ship it back to us and we'll get you a replacement."
Even when our local customers have issues with a product, we generally have them bring it to us - building signs are an exception, of course.

In this case, I'd probably offer to come do the warranty work, assuming cover the travel, or offer to coordinate with a local-to-them shop. Obviously it's hard to vet another shop that you can't go by and inspect their work. But there are still ways to figure out if they're at least average or better.

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Warranty Coverage

Well it wouldn't really work to "ship it back to us" in the case of a van wrap.

Our standard Written Warranty covers defects in the installation itself. Now, we have never had a big issue outside of a little lift on a wheel well or whatever but, with a job this big I would hate to not be able to resolve something should it happen a month down the road!

I don't want to get into a situation where I am running across country for a 1/2 day work or whatever. Just trying to cover ourselves should anything (or a few little things) arise.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I think finding a local shop close by that you can depend on is your best bet. If someone sends me something that is defective, it gets shipped back on their dollar. So if you have a major issue with a single wheelwell on one van, they probably aren't going to want to pay you any travel expense. It's nice to warranty your work, but make it clear than any repairs in the future will either be expensive or require a third party.