• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor barricade Graphics for buildout face

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Hey, everyone..
Up here is chilly new england, i have a estimate for 512 sq ft of arlon 8000 graphics going up on painted wood. ( Anybody have an idea how to install in really quick? :ROFLMAO:) it's pretty cold outside right now, and they only want the installation to occur at night. I was thinking i am going to have to create a tent/fort with a propane heater in order to warm up the walls, one section at a time...

woo boy!

Topher M.

thesignexpert

You have your work cut out for you. Actually, before your surface temperature concern (and it IS important) you should have verified your media for the wall. Or in other words... Wall test. Have you tested the actual Arlon 8000 media on the wall in question with the proper testing proceedures to make sure your surface energy, adhesion etc will work? All it takes is having your local paint contractor decide to put in some anti-grafiti additive or he decides to use some odd paint brand and, voila, your film that should have worked fine now doesn't stick at all.

As for surface temperature, not only do you need to warm that baby up but you also need to keep it warm for a few hours after the graphics are installed. Think about what happens when a properly warmed and bonding adhesive suddenly gets dropped back into freezing temperatures before it has set...

Good Luck!

Si Allen

Install in the cold ... at night? Do you have to do it with one hand tied behind your back ... standing on one foot ... using a 1/2 inch wide squeegee?

I would tell them it will get installed on a warm day with the Sun shining on it!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

klemgraphics

Install in the cold ... at night? Do you have to do it with one hand tied behind your back ... standing on one foot ... using a 1/2 inch wide squeegee?

I would tell them it will get installed on a warm day with the Sun shining on it!

+1 or they better have a VERY fat wallet to make it more than worth your effort.

Typestries

Can you print the job on coroplast or PVC and attach that to the wall mechanically? A low cost substrate could save you a ton of install headaches

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Can you print the job on coroplast or PVC and attach that to the wall mechanically? A low cost substrate could save you a ton of install headaches

This sounds like the best idea - maybe even banner material and stainless steel staples.

wayne k
guam usa

shakey0818

:omg2::Oops:I think i just pissed my pants.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

iSign

same thoughts here.. coro is not pretty, but construction fences usually aren't either, and their cost should realistically drop considerably, while your hourly take home could go up...

MikePro

aye, hate to say it but when its cold out.... most materials like to snap in your hands while you're manipulating it.

just last week I was having issues with 180Cv3 and 10degree weather... was a temporary freebie job but spent nearly 1/2 a day on a 4'x8' application. I ended up having to piece it back together while applying, because my 1 sheet had snapped into 3 sections while I was pulling my hinge.

+1 to LOADS of heat in controlled environment, or sunny day.
....ooooor wallpaper material and a staple-gun?

nashvillesigns

haha. warm day. i wish. its going on a location in a outdoor mall. they boarded up the entire storefront with painted white MDO. i am not really afraid of charging them (who isn't). but, like you said, the material might be better suited on something else. however, the company is out of canada, which leads me to believe they think it is not that cold "down here". i looked up the specs on the vinyl they are using, and, it can be installed at 30 degrees. (yea, right)

fmg

haha. warm day. i wish. its going on a location in a outdoor mall. they boarded up the entire storefront with painted white MDO. i am not really afraid of charging them (who isn't). but, like you said, the material might be better suited on something else. however, the company is out of canada, which leads me to believe they think it is not that cold "down here". i looked up the specs on the vinyl they are using, and, it can be installed at 30 degrees. (yea, right)
Hi.
Would this company be AmGraph by any chance.The reason I ask is because we installed a barrier recently for them for a client of theirs in CT mall.
They supplied the Arlon film and it was laminated. This makes me believe you will not have a problem with the film ripping or tearing in the cold.I would think you will be ok with the install.The biggest concern would be adhesion of the film in the cold conditions.Some strong propane heaters might do the trick.If it is Amgraph they are good payers!

Malkin

Just an FYI in case this job happens to be for the Boston Barricade company...

It took nearly a year for them to pay us for a small install-only job that was a rush and was after-hours as well. Even then it was a ridiculous amount of hassle & paperwork.

shakey0818

Hi.
Would this company be AmGraph by any chance.The reason I ask is because we installed a barrier recently for them for a client of theirs in CT mall.
They supplied the Arlon film and it was laminated. This makes me believe you will not have a problem with the film ripping or tearing in the cold.I would think you will be ok with the install.The biggest concern would be adhesion of the film in the cold conditions.Some strong propane heaters might do the trick.If it is Amgraph they are good payers!
So your from NE you little puke let me know wher u wanna meet and we will see who the last man standing is

fmg

So your from NE you little puke let me know wher u wanna meet and we will see who the last man standing is
I'm south of you you if you want to take a drive down the 95 let me know and it will be a pleasure! and less of the insults please!

shakey0818

You started with the insults disrespecting a a lady member here.I am nobody here and i don't want to air our business here so any further talks will have to Be through Pm's.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Up here is chilly new england, i have a estimate for 512 sq ft of arlon 8000 graphics going up on painted wood. ( Anybody have an idea how to install in really quick? :ROFLMAO:) it's pretty cold outside right now, and they only want the installation to occur at night. I was thinking i am going to have to create a tent/fort with a propane heater in order to warm up the walls, one section at a time...

woo boy!

Topher M.

Direct heat w/ weed burners and a 3 alarm fire diversion across town until you finish...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
So what install technique should be used for the barricade that needs to go up between fmg and shakey0818?

wayne k
guam usa

Last edited:

nashvillesigns

yes it is. at 514 square feet, i am not really sure what i should charge them. i was going to rent some propane heaters. how long did it you take you to install that?

Billct2

I wouldn't do it. Since they are supplying RTA vinyl I would put it in the cheapest .040 or polymetal I could get, 512 s/f = 16 sheets 4x8 which maybe would cost $500-600 bucks. Apply it in the shop and then install on site. Probably cost the same as the whole propane/tent ordeal. (that's if they wouldn't go for coro)

nashvillesigns

i already asked about that. they responded like i just killed their kitten. they want it mounted right on that material. ultimately, its gonna look all lumpy anyway, since, it is just regular grade plywood painted white.. gonna take a nice long vacation when i get done. lol