• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor Digital Print Vinyl on Old Substrate

wbruzzese

We've been asked to put a "sticker" over a 16' x 4' substrate that is on the back of a scorers tower at Anderson Speedway. The substrate is about 10 years old and the paint is weathered, but the substrate is in good shape. I need a suggestions for vinyl that will adhere well to the substrate (wood type product, maybe sooterboard), and will last for many years.

I've attached a picture of the building.

Would Avery Supercast 1005 with lam work for this application or should I use a non-pvc product like 3M480?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 104

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Only way I'd touch this job is a brand new sign. Make it, take the old down, put up the new one. People trying to save a buck like this cracks me up.

sagesign

There is no way using the existing sign is going to save anybody any money. New aluminum composite panels and prints installed in your shop - much easier, cheaper, and all around better.

reQ

I would tell the customer it will be same price compare to completely new sign. (i hate cleaning stuff like that and try to avoid it as much as possible)

TimToad

What your photo doesn't reveal is how far off the ground this thing is or how easy would it be to get up there and either comfortably apply a coat of primer and then a finish coat and a new decal or to mount new DiBond panels over it.

Do you have a bucket truck at your disposal?

The new ACM panel idea is how I would go. Just don't promise or guarantee them that those panels will last 10 years.

With the changes in our climate, we don't make any assurances or guarantees on longevity for anything anymore.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are many descriptions for it..... overlay, facelift, refacing...... whatever. Do two new panels on the ground, in your shop and either they or you put them right over the top of the old sign. If they're in good shape, like you said, they'll hold the weight of 2 little ACM boards.