• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

outdoor rated pvc

flyplainsdrifta

hey y'all. looking into an outdoor rated pvc board that is uv printable, and no more then 6mm. can anyone point me in the right direction of anything similar to that that would be good for longer out door use?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It would certainly help to know your application for this sign(s).

Ya know, size, how are you mounting them, wall, between posts, 2 sided, etc.

flyplainsdrifta

It would certainly help to know your application for this sign(s).

Ya know, size, how are you mounting them, wall, between posts, 2 sided, etc.

ahh well were looking for a middle ground between corro signs and the more expensive aluminum composite. just looking for more options. thats why it does end up needing to be on the thinner side. thanks all!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very interesting. 25 year warranty. That's better than almost anything out there. However, the inks will still begin to fade in a matter of a few years. Have they had any corona treatments, that you know of ??

Since you use this, does it warp with the heat like all the others and does it become brittle in cold temperatures like the others ?? Due to UV inks drying rather hard, the expansion and contraction rate would be good to know at only 3mm or 6mm. PVC substrates for the sign industry are not the same PVCs used in many other industries, so it's hard to tell, unless you have several years of a track record with this stuff.

I think I'm gonna get some and try it myself. Thanks for the tip.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Komacel, trovicel, sintra and all the others not mentioned are junk for using outside, let alone outside with printing on it, based upon your geographic location and how much weather elements and sun are going to hit this thing. This stuff some one just mentioned could be worth a shot, but I doubt it. I'll give it a try.

All of these PVC products..... at this small thickness have no business being outside, other than to put on top of a pile of wood to help keep it dry. Heat warps it and cold makes it super brittle. All of it. Never heard of this other stuff, but I would imagine it's gonna have all the same characteristics.

I believe the problem stems from..... it can be used outdoor and it accepts inks, but not for long periods of time, which is what a sign needs to do.

CanuckSigns

ahh well were looking for a middle ground between corro signs and the more expensive aluminum composite. just looking for more options. thats why it does end up needing to be on the thinner side. thanks all!

Around here a sheet of 0.125" ACM is less expensive than a sheet of 0.25" PVC, so where are the cost savings?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you're looking for flatbed substrates better than Cor-X but less than the ACM products, why not just up your Cor-X thickness ??

For outdoor use, anything other than aluminum, well prepped MDO or cheap plastics, like Cor-X and PVC, there really isn't anything out there. If it was, it would be easy to find, as we'd all be using it.

We just did a buncha Cor-X signs for a customer who was looking for a little cheaper route. There were many 18 x 24s 3' x 4's and 2 4' x 6's.... Did these this past spring. We did give them the price going both ways and our recommendations and they chose C H E A P. Just got a call a few weeks ago to re-do them all on .050 aluminum. They were failing. A PVC sign won't take much more abuse than maybe a year of so, until you move up to the 3/4" and thicker stuff.
Good luck with your search. :thumb:

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Went to the Palight website and looked up their fabrication guidelines and it needs to be treated just like any other foamed PVC material. Lots of linear expansion and can't be allowed to heat up past 140 deg or risk softening and permanent deformation lol. Not too difficult to get 140 in the sun in Arizona lol, especially in any color other than white. The wood grain is cool tho

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You know, if you go to any franchise site or any reputable sign website, you will read in very understandable language, that ALL pvc products are not recommended for any outdoor use, other than temporary. So, if a franchise company is protecting themselves, then you know it's got to be junk.

Someone, somewhere made mention that it's the same PVC that is used for pipes and other construction items. As for being the same, not hardly, not at all. It has the same base and the same call letters, but it is made entirely different. Ya know, the frozen tray packs in the grocery stores..... that's PVC also, but it is made entirely different so it can withstand frozen temperatures.

You people need to read past the first sentence or two or start asking questions of your vendors and if they don't know, seek further assistance.

Johnny Best

PVC is Type1 or Type2, I am not a chemist but the plumbing pipe is Type2 witch is harder and more impact resistant and the sign product is the expandable foam which makes it lighter. Great product for interior work but not outside because of what others have stated being affected by cold and heat.
Do not think people even read the first sentence, they just see the price compared to ACM.