• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outdoor sign using MDO finishing techniques

tintshopplus

Been awhile since I've used MDO, but will be doing a 4x8 2 sided sign between posts this week. I used to seal the edges with wood putty and used a paint/primer combo that was latex based. Had some do well over the years and others showed some wear. I thought about using titebond glue to seal the edges this time and maybe take a look at some different paint and primers. Just looking for some recommendations from those of you who do these a lot with great success. Thanks in advance.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We still start by filling all the voids along the edges with Elmer's Wood Putty. Once they are built up to the edge, we run a bead down the entire length with our thumb. When it's dry, we sand it down. Prime with a good latex primer and then top coat with bulletin and lightly sand with maybe 180 or 220, tack it off and give a second coat and let it flow out. If you can afford the time, a third coat is prefect, but not everyone can spend 2 days painting the background on. That method has lasted us at least 20 years without fail.

OldPaint

i do the edges as per others..........
i PRIME WITH OIL BASED KILZ.................top coat with spray on............ AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL WITH HARDENER. 2 COATS........and iam lettering on it within 2 hours))))))

Andy D

I haven't done a MDO in a long time so I'm probably wrong,
but I was taught to put a bead of 100% silicone around
the edge and edge cap it.
I guess that's not the look you're going for though.

Chasez

Been a while since I've used MDO but we used to use a decent wood glue and water it down slightly. Then paint the edges with the glue mixture, wait to dry, paint again, sand smooth, paint once more, and sand smooth when dry. Then primed and painted with a good oil based paint. (sorry I don't have the actual products)

Chaz