• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outline Mode

Sign Works

There is still one feature of Flexi that drives me insane and I am wondering if anyone else feels the same. When viewing artwork in outline mode the default setting is "Show Fill Color" now when you use this all objects that have a white fill color makes the path white which is invisible and objects that have a red fill makes the path red which makes it extremely difficult to select multiple objects seems the selection color is red too. Yes you can change the fill mode to "Show Layer Color" which when in outline mode shows all paths in red which once again really sucks because selection color is red (very difficult to determine what is selected or not) I have tried to figure out a way to change the default layer color but have been unsuccessful. I find it so much easier to work with for example in programs like Casmate or Inspire where the path's are all black and when selected become blue, this is why I still do most of my vector design work in Inspire. Does anyone else out there find this as annoying as I do and has anyone found a way to change the default layer color in Flexi? I can't figure out SAI's logic behind having the default layer color and path selection color both being red, makes absoloutly no sense to me whatsoever, maybe I should throw this at them and see what they have to say.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Easy to change the layer color. Bring up the Design Editor, select the 'Layers' tab, right click on the layer, usually layer1, and select properties. Right there you can change the layer color.

Sign Works

Thanks Bob, I know I can change the layer color but it does not change the "default" of the layer color, as I see it now my only solution is to change the layer color every single time I start/open a new file.

RiXaX

when you hit the icon to outline, somewhere there appears a node that can be grabbed and dragged to the desired outline width. How do you determine where this happens? I feel at the mercy of the program.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
when you hit the icon to outline, somewhere there appears a node that can be grabbed and dragged to the desired outline width. How do you determine where this happens? I feel at the mercy of the program.

The outline control point is always in the same place for any object. It's positioned somewhere in the neighborhood of the upper right corner of the object. More precisely would seem to be positioned perpendicular to the line through the rightmost highest point [maximum X and Y] in the first quadrant and the next point counterclockwise from that point.

Since it's always in the same place and there is no possibility of conflict with any other feature, there's no reason to provide a mechanism where the user can specify where to place it.

Last edited:

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
What version of flexi are you using?

IN v5.7, you can set it so anything that happens to be in the background colour (so therefore invisible) will show as cross hatching instead. I don't like this, so set the background in a queer shade of pale grey so that white will show up, as well as any other colour. Those settings are in "page layout" adjustments.

Also, if you double click on a colour tab on the right, while nothing is selected, then everything disappears except for items in that colour. That makes it easy to select by colour for grouping or compounding. Then go back to the arrow or box at the top of the colour tabs, and select "show all colours" and you get the rest back again. Do that as often as you need with whichever colours you need.