• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outline number question?

fast_crew

Hello all. My work, an automotive dealership has allowed me to use the vinyl machine to make lettering for my race car, and a freinds car. I have some experiance making signs for the store and what not, but limited. The software is Vinyl Express Apprentice 7.5 The thing in question is trying to make outlined numbers, apprentice doesn't support this function, looked in the operating manual, only Expert/ master/ masterplus. Is there anything else in the prgram that can make outlined numbers? Or is there anything else I can do make the numbers in a different program and import? If so what type of program can I do this in. Or how much is it to upgrade to one of the better versions of Vinyl Express? Any and all help is greatly apprectiated. Also looking into maybe getting my own equipment and doing this as a business on the side.

Thanks Alot Josh K.

Last edited:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You would have to check with SignWarehouse as to your upgrade options. They will almost certainly also require you to upgrade to the current version. Your version is two releases out of date.

Your other typical options would be to purchase a license for CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator. You would then design there and export as EPS ... then open in Vinyl Express. Either of these options will set you back a little under $500.

G

gps-hi

I'm not familiar with vinyl express, but don't most programs of this type have a contour function? If so, just create an offset contour cut to match the thickness of the outline you want.

fast_crew

I'm not familiar with vinyl express, but don't most programs of this type have a contour function? If so, just create an offset contour cut to match the thickness of the outline you want.

I checked into that and that feature is also only supported by the Expert/ Master/ Master plus versions. Grrr Thanks alot though for the idea's I really appreciate it.
Josh K.

scootinbob

If you can purchase a program called Composer 2.6 version they have it on there or the worst case sinario is you have to design it by hand which can take some time but it is possible.

chopper

why not just do the copy twice, one larger than the other and lay one over the other??? than you will have your outline, if you are layering vinyl that will be how you do it anyway
//chopper

Bradster941

why not just do the copy twice, one larger than the other and lay one over the other??? than you will have your outline, if you are layering vinyl that will be how you do it anyway
//chopper

Chopper, have you tried doing this?

Me thinks not.:rolleyes:

Flame

Chopper, have you tried doing this?

Me thinks not.:rolleyes:

hahaha, I was just going to say........ that doesn't work. :p

My suggestion is look into a graphics program. The program you have is really worthless except for solid color lettering. Getting something like Illustrator or CorelDraw would be your best bet, design in there, import the file into your program, then cut.

Good luck!