Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outline tip

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by ams, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    If you are doing layers, (vinyl cut on top of vinyl cut) once you lay the outline, or weeded it, and are ready to put the letters on the outline. Here is a tip.

If your plotter goes off alignment even a little bit, the words aren't going to match up correctly with the outline. If this happens, or to be safe, cut out each word or letters separate and do lay them down.

Yes it may take a little longer, but at least they will match up perfectly this way. I cut out an 8 foot piece few days ago, it went off alignment about 1/4" and half of the words didn't match so had to break it down to groups.

Hope it helps. :wavingflag:

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    ...and you wonder why you get bashed...

heres another tip: cut them apart with an exacto or scissors

3. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Common now..... he's trying.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    true. sorry.

5. mikey-Oh

mikey-Oh Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2009
    okc
    i use reg marks for layered vinyl, easy peasy

6. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I made an effort to be helpful and still get rude comments. Come on now

7. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Ignore the rude comments...

8. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    he is trying so lets just leave him alone. there are a ton of people on the site that wouldn't know what he posted and would find it helpful. had I seen a tip like this 25 years ago, I would have appreciated it. we forget that not everyone is on the same level and there are folks who are just learning.

9. Bigdawg

Bigdawg Just Me

Jun 8, 2005
    Sunny Florida
    :goodpost:

I missed the drama (thank God for vacations) but Marlene is right... there are newbies that don't know enough to do what Fayt posted...

which is a little scary in itself, but that's for another thread...

10. VINYLIMAGEZ

VINYLIMAGEZ Member

Aug 29, 2007
  11. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    The same principle of "sectioning down" applies to lots of things and it's a good one to learn as a core principle of achieving quality work. I've always don the same thing with the original layer of large cut vinyl applications. Better to take a bit longer and not have to redo anything.

12. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Back in the "old days" of layering vinyl we would always only lay on
    2-3 letters at a time so stuff stayed lined up. Glad we don't layer vinyl anymore!
    Don't miss all the weeding.

13. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    most of us who don't have to layer as often are now printing & I've have to ease up on my more ambitiously long print/cut runs for similar reasons of mis-alignment potential when microscopic irregularities are compounded over repetitive distances

14. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    and then there will be that reflectuve lettering job where you warn the client about the nightmare of removing reflective... followed by the ol' one-two punch upsell of a high performance outline/base.. and suddenly us old dog print guys are having to layer again.... after already forgetting to cut reg marks :rolleyes:
    ...time for the old glass door & sunshine light table

15. Fitch

Fitch Member

Sep 1, 2009
    "and suddenly us old dog print guys are having to layer again.... after already forgetting to cut reg marks"

You just gettin' old and lazy Doug