• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outline tip

ams

If you are doing layers, (vinyl cut on top of vinyl cut) once you lay the outline, or weeded it, and are ready to put the letters on the outline. Here is a tip.

If your plotter goes off alignment even a little bit, the words aren't going to match up correctly with the outline. If this happens, or to be safe, cut out each word or letters separate and do lay them down.

Yes it may take a little longer, but at least they will match up perfectly this way. I cut out an 8 foot piece few days ago, it went off alignment about 1/4" and half of the words didn't match so had to break it down to groups.

Hope it helps. :wavingflag:

Marlene

he is trying so lets just leave him alone. there are a ton of people on the site that wouldn't know what he posted and would find it helpful. had I seen a tip like this 25 years ago, I would have appreciated it. we forget that not everyone is on the same level and there are folks who are just learning.

Bigdawg

Just Me
he is trying so lets just leave him alone. there are a ton of people on the site that wouldn't know what he posted and would find it helpful. had I seen a tip like this 25 years ago, I would have appreciated it. we forget that not everyone is on the same level and there are folks who are just learning.

:goodpost:

I missed the drama (thank God for vacations) but Marlene is right... there are newbies that don't know enough to do what Fayt posted...

which is a little scary in itself, but that's for another thread...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

The same principle of "sectioning down" applies to lots of things and it's a good one to learn as a core principle of achieving quality work. I've always don the same thing with the original layer of large cut vinyl applications. Better to take a bit longer and not have to redo anything.

Mosh

Back in the "old days" of layering vinyl we would always only lay on
2-3 letters at a time so stuff stayed lined up. Glad we don't layer vinyl anymore!
Don't miss all the weeding.

iSign

most of us who don't have to layer as often are now printing & I've have to ease up on my more ambitiously long print/cut runs for similar reasons of mis-alignment potential when microscopic irregularities are compounded over repetitive distances

iSign

and then there will be that reflectuve lettering job where you warn the client about the nightmare of removing reflective... followed by the ol' one-two punch upsell of a high performance outline/base.. and suddenly us old dog print guys are having to layer again.... after already forgetting to cut reg marks :rolleyes:
...time for the old glass door & sunshine light table

Fitch

"and suddenly us old dog print guys are having to layer again.... after already forgetting to cut reg marks"

You just gettin' old and lazy Doug