Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outlook not sending emails

Discussion in 'General Software' started by gabagoo, Jan 2, 2014.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have my sister now set up at home with her computer to do invoicing as she had surgery and needs to stay home for 6 weeks. We run outlook express on her computer and she can receive email but her outbox is not sending out any emails. She is not getting any warning pop ups either so it seems that she is connected properly to the server. I also made sure that there were no overly large attachments...so I was wondering what I could do to remedy this?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    check in the storage folder that Sent.dbx isnt over 2gb

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thanks...where will I find the file?

4. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    if you go into options - maintenance, it will show storage folder location - you can copy/paste into a 'my computer' window

5. joshGN

joshGN Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Edmond,Ok
    x2...

I had to go thru and make folders for inbox and sent mail, by years, b/c my dbx file would get to large.

also if you have too many addresses(contacts) it will freak out too....i believe 1000 is the max

6. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I take it you do this in outlook? I go to options but don't see maintenance....Could I see a screen shot

7. J Hill Designs

Sep 24, 2004
    crap I'm talking outlook express... but here -- if full outlook, I can do some google-fu...let me know

Attached Files:

8. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    Try this one if you are running the full version (but I was thinking you were running Express as well, but just in case). It's the same path that J Hill mentions to get to this one.

Attached Files:

9. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    mine looks like this.... I see no maintenance......

Attached Files:

10. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I basically had her delete everything in the deleted files and everything not needed in the inbox and sent box....still receives mail but nothing leaves. I thought maybe there was something too large bottlenecking the send procedure but she says they are all small files...so I have to go over there and see what else I can do to get them to send. Thanks for your help so far I will see tomorrow morning if any of these options work.

11. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Did the mail host change their server address? (where Outlook is pointing to for the outgoing mail server)

12. webguru

webguru Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Indiana
    Port Settings

Make sure you manually configure Outlook with the proper port settings. In your hosting account cpanel you click on mail, then find where your settings are listed. It should look similar to this:

Manual Settings

Incoming Mail Server: mail.YOURSITE.com
    Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) host777.YOURHOST..com
    Outgoing Mail Server: mail.YOURSITE.com (server requires authentication) port 26
    Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) host777.YOURHOST.com (server requires authentication) port 465
    Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
    Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      26.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
  13. Printing for profit

Printing for profit New Member

Jan 2, 2014
    I think the best answer is to stop using Outlook. You will continue to have problems. One computer in this office uses Outlook, the Bosses. We have trouble every week. No problems with Thunderbird, Mac mail or even Webmail. I know that does not solve your immediate problem. May I suggest you begin by using your webmail portal to first confirm that you can indeed send & receive. once you are confident that you can send & receive via webmail you can relax and explore your email client options. Hope that helps.

14. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    this!!! doh

15. OADesign

OADesign Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    California
    ^^ What he said...

OP, You didn't mention all the details. But I will assume Outlook Express was already on the computer working fine, for some personal email? Then you added another business email account do do the invoicing?

If you feel like getting a bit more technical, I would ask you internet service provider for the proper port settings and protocols. Some ISPs block the default mail ports as a security measure.