• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Output resolution

CES020

I'm trying to understand how something works in Corel that's got me scratching my head.

Let's say I have an image in Photoshop, and it's at 600dpi, sized correctly. I export that to a tiff (tell me if that's not a good format to use here), and then I go into Corel and import it.

Now, I hope, I have a 600dpi image in Corel. However, when I go into the settings for Corel, it only shows available resolutions up to 300 in the settings.

How's that all work? I'm confused.

Did it bring the tiff file in at 600 or 300? If I output it, how's it going to output at 600 if the top setting is 300? Or am I looking at the wrong area for settings?

Any insight into how that all works would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Steve

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I'm assuming you are bringing the bitmap into coreldraw not photopaint.
If you select the image in the layout the bottom status bar will show the dpi of the image.
It should match what it was in Photoshop.
If it does not check the size in the transforms docker.
If it is not what it should be, scale it to the correct size and the dpi will match what you set it to in photoshop.

The dpi setting for the document is what controls the dpi of the bitmap effects (drop shadows etc) within draw as they are rendered to the screen as you edit.

If you output the final as a flattened bitmap you can set the dpi in the export dialog box to the correct value.
If you are sending it as an eps, ai or pdf with a mix of vectors & bitmaps it will retain the correct size/dpi on export.

wayne k
guam usa

CES020

Gotcha! It shows correctly when I click on it. I wasn't sure how it was dealing with the output. So it looks like it sends out whatever is in it, which answers my question.

I've actually output 10's of thousands of jobs to my lasers and for some reason I never thought about it until today. Just curious more than anything.

Thanks for the help!