Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outsource all my printing...Even if its out of town?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by Stevealex, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Stevealex

Stevealex Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Queen creek arizona
    Hi, I am faced with a problem in starting my sign business. I cant yet afford a printer and I am left with outsourcing the printing to another company. Real problem lies in the fact that no local print shops use large format solvent printers, only inkjet printers. The nearest shop would be about 50 miles away. Is it feasable for things to operate smoothly when outsourcing your jobs from that distance. Advice is appreciated. Thank you

Tags:
  2. CES020

CES020 Very Active Member

Oct 16, 2008
    VA
    Very feasible. Some of the merchant members on here are outstanding and very fast and probably more than 50 miles away.

3. 300mphGraphics

300mphGraphics Active Member

Aug 15, 2006
    arizona
    Contact cdiesel at AZPro in Avondale who is a Merchant Member here and your printing problems are solved! They did all my printing before I was able to purchase my printer and they still do some for me. Great people!

4. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Ditto.

5. wetgravy

wetgravy Guest

If you outsource your printing I almost recommend getting it done out of town. Too many cases of client poaching if you do it locally (they start out not printing for the public but will call your customers asking if they want their jobs re-printed since they have the art)

That being said, merchant members are the bees knees. When I eventually get some jobs that require solvent printing I will use them.

And I lived in a town where the nearest solvent printer was almost 200 miles away ... still had my prints done about 4000 miles away from a wholesale printer that I trusted.

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Sure, as long as your shop doesn't have Fast, Instant, Tomorrow or Today in the name.

7. Stevealex

Stevealex Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Queen creek arizona
    Cool thx guys. funny you should mention az pro. They are really cool guys actually I shadowed a couple of there guys for a couple of days a few weeks back to learn more about wraps. really nice shop. I will probably go through them. I agree with bill though, sometimes theres a today or tomorrow involved and its hard to meet those deadlines. i guess thats just one of the downsides of not having my own printer though.

8. klemgraphics

klemgraphics Active Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Midwest
    Are there really customers out there that don't require this?:ROFLMAO: I guess I do have a few that give me a couple of days.

Seriously though I am totally comfortable with outsourcing anything that is bigger than my baby mutoh can handle. And the few close by that could handle the printing...will never get the chance to.

9. CentralSigns

CentralSigns Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Golden BC
    I outsourced all my printing for several years. It can work, my printer was 6 hours away, 48 hour turn around on a rush job, a week for the usual job. It can work, shipping was a bit ch though, $20 per job. Had to put jobs together to make it work. You get real good at getting it right the first time, costs too much for a mistake. Plus you have to plan your work flow well, no room for application errors. It seems a lot at first but after a few months it gets together and by a year you'll be a pro. In some ways glad I got past that and bought. Much easier. Good Luck !!