Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outsource printign contour cutting myself

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Saltedlake450, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Saltedlake450

Saltedlake450 New Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Hey everyone, i just got a graphtec express that reads the marks to do contour cutting. Iwanted to see if anyone on here can help me out. Im looking to outsource the pritning and do the contour myself, is this possible? I attached a video to see what I mean, thanks!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFWcgmtlQZo

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I don't see why you can't do what you want, but will you want the printed media laminated first ??

3. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

why not just have it contour cut from your wholesaler? I dont charge for contour cutting to neither wholesale customers or regular customers.

4. EmpireGFX.com

EmpireGFX.com Member

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm not sure how your printer software works but with our graphtec it sends a separate cut file when it sends the print file. I'm not sure how your plotter would read the registration marks without that cut file.

5. omgsideburns

omgsideburns Very Active Member

Apr 15, 2008
    You're asking for trouble. Unless you set the crop marks and cut them and make sure it's all properly set up, you'll end up screwing something up. Not being negative.. I just know how the graphtecs work. I have several and sometimes I want to punch them.

6. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    One thing to remember is that you're going to have to add extra material on all four sides to be able to run it through the plotter. I don't know who you're subbing to but all three of mine charge me by the square foot whether printed or not. On a 3' x 4' print adding a foot to each side adds 65% more square footage and 65% more cost.

7. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    not worth the hassle in my opinion, find a wholesaler who offers this service.

8. royster13

royster13 Very Active Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Montrose BC
    Often cheaper than the sum of the parts to get complete decals from a wholesale source....

9. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

I don't see any problem at all with this. If you're using Graphtec's CuttingMaster to set the registration marks any printer will print them. Like said above, just make sure that there's space between the registration marks and the edge of the vinyl so the clamps have room to set outside the cut area.

10. thmooch

thmooch Active Member

Mar 13, 2007
    sc
    FYI, depending on the length of the run I would suggest putting a bleed on the print. also, if manufacturing small complex shaped decals keep the run length to a minimum to help with cut registration. Trust me, even with "restrict media movement" clicked over a long run the cuts will start to vary.

11. Patentagosse

Patentagosse Active Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Joliette, Quebec (Canada)
    Tell us why you don't let your outsource printer handle the whole job instead of messing with that? They will print - laminate - cut the whole job and if something went wrong during the process, THEY will take it on 'em...

12. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Exactly so. You're asking for a Chinese fire drill of massive proportions if you proceed with your plans.

13. OrderPrintShip

OrderPrintShip New Member

Mar 5, 2012
    1,000,000 Stickers depending on the size is a massive job, if the stickers are all the same I would suggest doing them via offset printing. Plenty of offset printing companies can die cut. It would be much more cost effective trust me on this.