• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Over 4 Grand in Mail from Stranger...

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I received a priority mail large envelope today containing a certified check for $4,496 made out to me. The name on the return address, the remitter of the check, and authorized signature are 3 different people. I can' find anything in a scam search on any of them and haven't replied to any emails from people I don't know about anything. I called the bank in Chicago the check was drawn on and was told that since it's a certified check they can't tell me for sure if it's a counterfeit. They asked me questions about the checks appearance which matched their checks. I've searched certified check scams and am aware of the prevalent one where they send you one to purchase something online from you. They make the check out for a larger amount and ask you to WIRE the balance bank to them to rectify their mistake. Once money is wired it is totally irretrievable. In short, I can't find any scams connected to this check. The fact remains I know none of these people and have nothing for sale online. Any theories as to what might be going on here? I intend to hold the check until someone contacts me about it. The amount, $4.496 is kind of weird, almost like it is a specific amount for something. I'd like to go cash it and run out and buy an Apple computer, but know if it turns out to be bogus I would be on the hook for repayment of the money. Any ideas as to what someone is attempting here? I know I am a nice enough guy everyone should be sending money, but so far this is the first time!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Of the three names on the check, can you track down any or all of them ??

That sounds almost too good to be true..... or maybe too bad to believe. I would sooner think someone is possibly watching you or testing you..... for what ?? I dunno :help

Be careful. Be a bad time of year to have this backfire on ya.​

rjssigns

My wife just received one for 2 grand and change. I read the extremely fine print. It said upon cashing you agree to all terms blah blah blah.... Red Flag right there.

legacyborn

I received a check like this once, it was a counterfeit. When I called the bank they were very rude about trying to help me verify it. I tried to explain that I felt it was counterfeit and that they may want to look into it more and they didn't even want me to send them the fake. I kept it for a year in my safe just in case someone came asking about it.

signswi

My wife just received one for 2 grand and change. I read the extremely fine print. It said upon cashing you agree to all terms blah blah blah.... Red Flag right there.

This. It's a common scam. Direct mail scammers are getting really good at making things seem official, there really needs to be some new legislation on the issue but until then...just be careful people (especially you old people, so trusting!).

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Mystery solved! I remembered my wife has a friend who is a postal supervisor. I called her and told her about it. She said it is a check fraud ring that sends those out constantly. She said they obviously forgot to include my letter instructing me on how to cash it at my bank which would have gotten them my acct. number.She called a post office branch across the street from my house and told them I would be bringing it over to them with the envelope to be submitted to postal inspectors who go after the sender listed. They said IF it turns out to be a Christmas present a stranger sent me it will be returned to me. Yeah right. Won't hold my breath. At least I've let y'all know what's up if you get a certified check in the mail from someone you don't know.

brian_fellers

I got one of those checks like 2 years ago, it's an odd number too like $3,223.00. It had a Wells Fargo info on the check, so I called the bank and gave them the numbers off the check, told them the amount of the check, and asked if it would clear or not. The bank said yes. Therefore, the funds were in the account, but I never did cash the check. It was a Craigslist scam, and this guy from Nigeria wanted me to cash the check, keep 50%, and wire him the other 50%. Crazy! LOL

CanuckSigns

I got one of those checks like 2 years ago, it's an odd number too like $3,223.00. It had a Wells Fargo info on the check, so I called the bank and gave them the numbers off the check, told them the amount of the check, and asked if it would clear or not. The bank said yes. Therefore, the funds were in the account, but I never did cash the check. It was a Craigslist scam, and this guy from Nigeria wanted me to cash the check, keep 50%, and wire him the other 50%. Crazy! LOL

What would happen if you cashed the cheque and told the Nigerian to GFY?

C

ColoPrinthead

Sometimes when I get bored I like to visit this site where people mess with the scammers. There is one where a guy got the scammers to send him money from Africa and one where a guy gets a scammer to send a pic of a laptop tied to his junk.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I got an email today from a guy who wanted me to verify I deposited the check by scanning the deposit slip and emailing it to him. He told me to keep $500 of it and said after receiving the deposit slip he would send me instructions of how to wire the balance to him. I searched my email and had had no prior contact from him. He said he hoped I would be a "reliable assistant to accomplish this work" for him every week. He went into a long story about being a dentist who travels to do demonstrations and needs a personal assistant to help him to deposit his patients money to "be sure to get their meds to them with the money you send me". It would be a good gig... almost too good to be true. My question would be how in the hell would he know if I could be trusted to always send him all the money? I sent him a reply suggesting he perform a physical impossibility on himself and let him know the Postal Inspector has the original envelope he used as well as the check. I also told him I was going to provide his email contact to me for the authorities to track. I won't hear from him again.

ucmj22

Scam Fo Sho. you deposit, send him the cash. 5 days later check is returned and youre on the hook for the money withdrawn. good thing you didnt deposit it.