• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion Overkill for this 4x8 sign?

akuarela

Good morning,
Our client wants us to build another sign in addition to this one that we didn't make. The face there was aluminum 0.63; also as you can see the welds did not hold up very well.
I'm thinking doing a thicker face, like 10mm alumalite and doing just a top and bottom reinforcement (angle or maybe galvanized perforated square pole. Also, maybe doing the same type of poles for standing up, vs these round ones.
I know some of you do some heavy duty stuff, I'm of the less is more camp.
Appreciate your opinions please and thank you!

Attachments

• Sign Back.jpg
    Sign Back.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 327

weyandsign

This was made with spare junk someone had laying around. Depends what they're willing to spend on another one. I'd use wood posts over 2" square tube for a 4x8.

JBurton

Signtologist
Why are the posts so off center ??
So you could see the sign around that pole while coming up the drive?

This thing would have held up better with just a bit of paint on the welds. Also, be careful welding galvanized, you really need a respirator and some kind of specialized hood.

akuarela

Is this permanent or temporary, like a year or two ??
Why are the posts so off center ??
I think a construction company did that, not a sign guy.
Who knows, the ground can get quite rocky around there.
It's going to be permanent.

akuarela

So you could see the sign around that pole while coming up the drive?

This thing would have held up better with just a bit of paint on the welds. Also, be careful welding galvanized, you really need a respirator and some kind of specialized hood.
I don't weld at all, if something needs to be done I'll outsource it.
No idea what's with the poles, certainly not reproducing that part.

akuarela

This was made with spare junk someone had laying around. Depends what they're willing to spend on another one. I'd use wood posts over 2" square tube for a 4x8.
Weyandsign, what do you mean like wood posts over 2" square tube ?
In any case, it needs to be practical not beautiful, as it will be in an industrial setting.

akuarela

What about my idea of using the 10mm alumalite with top and bottom reinforcement? No welding involved?

Thanks!

visual800

Good God, someone went into the pile of junk behind the woodshed and built a frame. .063 is stout! I would just do .25" maxmetal on 2 posts and call it a day unless they wanted to get fancy and build a 1" square tube frame for the sign

AndersHerp

Something, something Dark Side
We would use aluminum square tubing for the frame and posts. 4"x4" for the posts, and 1"x1" for the frame. Then use aluminum composite panel for the face, and put vinyl graphics on, printed or cut. But I agree the example sign was put together with whatever the person could find at hand.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
If it's an industrial property, just put a new face on it. It's unistrut and fence post, nothing wrong with it. There's enough bracing there to use 3mm acm if you wanted.