• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlap Question

signgal01

We try to avoid overlap as much as possible but with a graphic that is oversized I normally do a 1/4" overlap is this common?
SignGal

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay.......

Wrap, translucent, digital, die-cut, overlapping on a solid substrate, close viewing, distance viewing......... all these things will probably have some bearing on the advice you'll get.

J Hill Designs

Okay.......

Wrap, translucent, digital, die-cut, overlapping on a solid substrate, close viewing, distance viewing......... all these things will probably have some bearing on the advice you'll get.

this is in the vehicle graphics section...I am sure you can wager an educated guess, Gino

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My Bad. Don't always notice the section as lotsa people just put stuff anywhere and hope for the best, but seeing how they've responded to die-cut......

Our largest log of die-cut vinyl is 48" so usually we don't hafta overlap. However, when it is necessary, we try about 1/8" on die-cut. If you do more, no harm, it's just doesn't look nice up close. If you don't do enough, it could possibly pull apart. This all relates to using cast vinyls.

signgal01

Thank you, we use 24" material for all die cut graphics 30" for printed/die cut material since we only have a 30" plotter. I had a customer recently concerned about an overlap that was just over an 1/8" and explained to him that without the overlap the graphic would eventually pull apart. Just wanted to confirm this is industry standard?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It was explained to me a long log time ago, that the best thing vinyl sticks to.... is itself. So, even the smallest of overlaps will continue to bond. No overlap will just promote eventual pulling apart which will leave a small to very large gap according to where you are located. Again, this only works with cast. Calendared, on the other hand will continue to shrink, even when stuck to itself in an overlapping situation.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
To tell ya the truth, I don't know about reflective. We've never overlapped reflective. Always got the size roll we needed to avoid it. I don't think overlapping such a thick media would be a good idea. However, they do it for state signs and such..... ya know, those big green ones up on the highways, but no one is looking at them going much under 65 mph, so I don't think anyone is complaining about a little overlap. When they wear out, they just spend more of your tax dollars to replace them........ :rolleyes:

shoresigns

To tell ya the truth, I don't know about reflective. We've never overlapped reflective. Always got the size roll we needed to avoid it. I don't think overlapping such a thick media would be a good idea. However, they do it for state signs and such..... ya know, those big green ones up on the highways, but no one is looking at them going much under 65 mph, so I don't think anyone is complaining about a little overlap. When they wear out, they just spend more of your tax dollars to replace them........ :rolleyes:

I could be mistaken, but I don't think highway signs have overlapping vinyl seams. Here in Canada at least, the big green signs are made from several smaller panels of aluminum, which eliminates the need to seam the vinyl.

Back on topic though, I'm not sure how much a seam on reflective would stand out on a vehicle, but it would probably stand out more than with regular vinyl. One tip would be to make sure the pieces are cut in the same orientation on the reflective film.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I could be mistaken, but I don't think highway signs have overlapping vinyl seams. Here in Canada at least, the big green signs are made from several smaller panels of aluminum, which eliminates the need to seam the vinyl.
Back on topic though, I'm not sure how much a seam on reflective would stand out on a vehicle, but it would probably stand out more than with regular vinyl. One tip would be to make sure the pieces are cut in the same orientation on the reflective film.

You could very well be correct.

There is a local state sign making company nearby us and I've seen them overlap with no concern for it at all. They take short cuts, I'd never think of using and they don't care, one bit. Whatdafug....... it's tax payers money. Even their wages are paid by the tax payers. I've even seen the 18" x 24" with seems in them..... in the white backed reflective. High end grade, too.