• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlapping Outlines

alanshields

I am trying to do a lighted sign for my building and I've purchase translucent vinyl for this application. I'm using two different colors, one for the letters and the other for the outline. I want some overlap so that there isn't any light showing through any gaps. I have flexi 8 and corel x4 and I really need some assistance. Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.:thankyou:

alanshields

Fred,
I actually looked at an old reply that you mentioned that, but I tried it today and I must be dense or something.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The color trap ... also called choke and spread, simply recreates the overlap/underspread of one or the other objects to the desired amount in Design Central, determines which is the overlapping object and tapers the corners in of the underspreading object. In the attached image you see the effect in FlexiSign.

This is how it is done in the software side of things. The basic wisdom of it as well as the application techniques is a whole different matter.

Attachments

• color trap.jpg
    color trap.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 159

alanshields

Thanks Fred,

I'm just trying to cut one color vinyl and lay it down and then lay the outline over that with about 1/2 inch overlap all the way around so as not to have any back light show through cracks. It's all just text, but in viewing your tile, I still don't quite get it. Must be being 57 yrs old. Thanks anyway. PS Love the Pug

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you don't mind my asking, what are the two colors and for which part of the letter ??

jimdeashby

Alan, I may be wrong but when you over lap the underlying vinyl...won't that produce an odd color shadow where the overlap occurs?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You do realize that overlapping translucent films will create yet a third color on the overlap? This can be more distracting than a sliver of white showing and which can be minimized by applying a strip of clear to control that.

Malkin

You do realize that overlapping translucent films will create yet a third color on the overlap? This can be more distracting than a sliver of white showing and which can be minimized by applying a strip of clear to control that.

Fred, are you saying that some clear over a butt-fit join will help prevent/minimize the shrinking?

Generally I make the overlap around 1/16 to 1/8.

The OP did mention that one color was black, so in this case he needn't worry about a 3rd unwanted color.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred, are you saying that some clear over a butt-fit join will help prevent/minimize the shrinking?

Generally I make the overlap around 1/16 to 1/8.

The OP did mention that one color was black, so in this case he needn't worry about a 3rd unwanted color.

I agree that if either color is opaque that there is no issue. I did not, however, see any mention of black being one of the colors ... originally or on review, so I assume they are as stated: both translucent colors and that color shifting will happen if they are overlapped.

Yes, I am saying that a butt joint reinforced with some clear may well be a better choice for the job.

Malkin

Good to know. I'll have to try it on the next one.

...I think I was reading too fast and read "back" as "black" and got it confused in my mind. Eh, it's been a long day.
:Oops:

visualeyez

I cut the the text normal size in the background color, and then apply a .05" outline to the text and cut in the second color. Apply on top and even with shrinkage it will not show light through.

alanshields

Ok everyone. The colors are purple and yellow. The lighted sign is about 70 feet from the road and I'm not too concerned about bleed through, however, Fred is probably right. At that distance I shouldn't probably be concerned about light showing through crack. I just want it to be easier to apply .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are you doing yellow letters with a purple outline.... on a white background ??

Reason being.... at 70 feet, I don't think a yellow outline will even show up. Don't waste your time or money.