• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlapping Vinyl Cost

Sven

How should I charge for overlapping vinyl? For example, I did an estimate for pick-up truck lettering--plain white lettering on the doors, sides and tailgate. The guy then decides he wants a black border around all the lettering. Using cut vinyl, this is double the vinyl cost and double the cutting, weeding, taping and application time. I charged for the vinyl, but is it fair to charge double for the labor, taking into account a design/setup charge, which stays the about the same?

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Absolutely! Take into account what was the chance of misaligning a single color decal? You have more than doubled your labor and you are now takng a risk you didn't face with single color.

Double +

Sven

I just worry about the competition with digital printers who don't have to charge double for a border.

Jillbeans

You might want to try a three tired pricing structure.
1 color truck doors are $X
2 colors are $XX
A custom print with many colors is $XXX
(or SignGold, or a really fancy design etc)
Try not to worry about your competition, charge a fair (to everyone) price and do a good job.
Explain to your client that additional colors are an additional fee and they will probably go with the original idea.
Love....Jill