• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overseas Vendors for Fabricated Backlit Letters

signsvisual

Hello, have any of you had experience ordering custom fabricated logos/letters with backlit effect, from overseas vendors such as China? If so , can you recommend the reliable ones, because there are several ones out there who market this type of signage.

Jay Grooms

Printing, Printing, Printing......
Can't help you in finding one, I did have a customer (years ago) have their sign delivered to our shop from china for installation. He got an amazing deal on it, but the sign was absolute junk. He paid us to rebuild it then he paid us to install. Also, the prices may not be really competitive with all the new tariffs. Just a thought.

MikePro

any reason for desire to go to china? If you're looking for reliable, look into Bitro Group or Gemini.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, not for me nor anyone I know. However, I have been called to instal some over the years and more than that, fix A LOT of them. Seems they are nothing but crap, so be careful regardless of the price. Oh, and we won't touch them to fix, either. Be careful.

Just out of curiosity..... it appears to be quite out of your realm of doing things. Are you licensed and capable of doing them...... the installation part ??​

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If you are looking for a fabrication partner to make custom signs for specific client applications, I would recommend staying in the U.S. There are many high quality fabricators that will work for reasonable prices.

If your business plan is to make hundreds or thousands of identical items that can be shipped in containers, my understanding is that there are many fine businesses in China that can help you locate a factory and set up the necessary assembly lines and supply trains. American companies that do this already are usually reluctant to give out names. It really helps to have someone who deeply understands China and the Chinese marketplace to get involved in any of this. The result will be cheaper labor and fewer restrictions on manufacturing.

signsvisual

I have explored the conventional US suppliers, but this particular project calls for thinner stroke letters/logo that cannot be manufactured with backlit LEDs here in the states, but apparently is done very commonly overseas. So that is the main reason.

signsvisual

US Sign and Fabrication outsources to Thailand so their prices are triple what the overseas would sell for. The letters are example 5" tall x 1/2" stroke and would be 1" deep and need to be backlit.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just a question..... if they cannot be made here in the states, will they meet code when installed HERE in the states, regardless of where they are made ??

MikePro

not to braaaag, but i'm currently making 4" tall letters, with 1" thick acrylic, aluminum face'd, edge-lit with .375" stroke. fun stuff.
however, most LED's have a ~.25" wide "footprint", so for a 1/2" wide letter that has what... a 1/8" stroke? depending on the remaining spec's, I'd be exploring other means of fabrication regardless of supplier....

henryz

Is this what you had in mind, they are doing these types of letters in malls. These are from AA leds in CA. They are from China so cost is reasonable and short lead time. The #2 is 2.5" Tall.
20190514_134546.jpg

equippaint

US Sign and Fabrication outsources to Thailand so their prices are triple what the overseas would sell for. The letters are example 5" tall x 1/2" stroke and would be 1" deep and need to be backlit.
Well you're buying a product that is FOB USA and know what youre going to get which comes at a cost. It's not cheap to ship and import items from out of the country by the time you pay sea shipping, customs bond, all the nonsense warehousing and handling fees, customs broker etc. This is where the small guys get taken for a ride. It's not like ordering something on Amazon where you push a button and it shows up at your door. If you order from the right person here, they have spent time vetting their overseas suppliers which they have to recoup. Even if you found their supplier and went to them, you may still end up getting crap because that's just how the Chinese play. They don't replace broke things or poorly built stuff and half the time they send you what they want and not what you order. The large resellers can do it because they actually go visit the vendors and do regular quality control checkups. With container loads, it's cost effective to fly over and inspect things before paying and shipping. That's what they do and that's what youre paying for.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Looks like someone is about to find themselves a headache rather than show the client a better alternative.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Depending on your application, you could route out "push-through" letters and mount them on a shallow internally illuminated box. The top surface could duplicate the existing finish of the intended application surface. Cheap and easy.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
So what? If the client doesn't like the price, either design something different or walk away. Or build your own factory in China.

printguyjohn

One suggestion: Always pay via an American Express if doing small orders in China. It's my absolute go to rule. If they won't take Paypal (via my American Express) then I won't even consider them. You need to have recourse should they decide to give you bad product.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
One suggestion: Always pay via an American Express if doing small orders in China. It's my absolute go to rule. If they won't take Paypal (via my American Express) then I won't even consider them. You need to have recourse should they decide to give you bad product.

Doesnt every credit card allow you to do this?