• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

oversized aluminum panel sign

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
Hello!

i have been creating and working on signs for over twenty years.
however, this particular job has me leaning to this forum for some input.

i have an estimate for a sign that measures 8' tall by 178" long. it is sitting in a 4" frame that surrounds it. the sign was originally painted around 1940.
the customer wants to "restore it"

1. good news. the sign is divided up into eight foot long panels that are 22" wide. there are eight of them. taking this down should be easier and bringing it back here to work on. laying down new laminated vinyl is a snap.

2. bad news? all the hardware MUST be rusted out by now. this job is going to be rather expensive i feel... restoring the artwork and digitizing it to be exactly the way it was before is easier than everything else that need doing.
one of the panels "is blooming" at the bottom. (the paint is all faded and chipped. i told him those panels would cost more to restore.)

so, my question is, what would you do?

thanks,
Mosher

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Restoring doesn't mean you have to use the same materials from back in the 40's. It also doesn't mean it's gonna be cheap. Sometimes restorations can cost more than doing something using today's techniques and technology.

First, you must set up two boundaries. Complete restoration which is time and materials or something simulated.

You're gonna hafta get up there and evaluate what needs replacing and what might stay..... if anything.

Will the frame need replacing ?? How much for that whole venture.

I would think it easier to use four 4' x 8's and cut the last one down to fit the area.

Next is the cost of fabrication..... quote it both ways using paint and friskets or using vinyl. Regardless of which way, nothing will last another 70 years like the original. You must tell them the paint has been made almost useless today, which is why most people are going vinyl. There's nothing to do to doctor up the paint, unless you still have old leaded oil-based paint around the shop.

Good luck.............. !!

Billct2

If it is truly a cool old handpainted sign circa 1940 on what sounds like billboard panels I would insist on replacing with all new materials and also on the need to properly remove and dispose of the old panels.
( which would be on the wall of my shop)

visual800

heres a job that aint gonna happen. Post pics please. If it looks like billboards I have scaffolded on I would assume not only are the clips bad but so are the panels. that being said it would need all new aluminum framework and aluminum panels. next thing to look at is the frame that your NEW STUFF is gonna bolt to. Its like rebuilding a car you found in the woods, seems like a great idea but nothing but issue after issue