• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overzealous trademark protection

Jburns

Now THAT is just stupid on Caterpillars part. Zero confusion between the two brands. This would mean no person or company can use the word CAT on their apparel. Wait unitl they see Etsy...

OPENSignsInc.

I dont see any claim on caterpillars side because of the logo; If anything I can see is that the C in Cat on the bag looks a bit like a Cummins C but that is pushing it. I think they might be doing it because of them wanting to have some sort of cloud based service for their customers.

Edit: I wonder if they'll go after the Cat & Jack clothing line or the ASPCA for their "Cat Care" next.

AMGearhart

This isn't isolated. Monster Energy Drinks was suing Mad Monster Party for the same infringement. Using the word "Monster". Of course, as a horror movie convention, Mad Monster Party took their name from a movie from the 60's (I think) and did so with permission. I don't know who the lawyers are for Caterpillar or Monster energy drinks, but they reek of ambulance chasing.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/281517/monster-energy-trying-to-shutdown-mad-monster-party/

shoresigns

What kind of dumb-ass lawyer thinks this is a good idea? One of the core parts of trademark law is that you generally need to be using someone else's trademark in the same industry as them for it to be considered infringement.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This isn't isolated. Monster Energy Drinks was suing Mad Monster Party for the same infringement. Using the word "Monster". Of course, as a horror movie convention, Mad Monster Party took their name from a movie from the 60's (I think) and did so with permission. I don't know who the lawyers are for Caterpillar or Monster energy drinks, but they reek of ambulance chasing.

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/281517/monster-energy-trying-to-shutdown-mad-monster-party/

Careful, I am sure somewhere there is a lawyer who has trademarked Ambulance Chasing™ as their Corp tagline.

Jburns

Lawyers - off to make a buck on people minding their own business, busting their a** to create something.

They create litigation, cost everyone money.