• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

OZ Post vs Auger

SignsonTime

Has anyone been using the OZ post or the similar metal stake that Home Depot sells vs digging holes with an auger for real estate signs. The signs are for commercial use so they are 4'x4' alumacore. I have always used an auger in the past, but I have quite a few to do and these metal post seem as if they would save time. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Attachments

• oz-850.png
    oz-850.png
    58 KB · Views: 197

Rooster

With something like that it will only be a secure as the ground it goes into.

If you know what the ground is like where you're installing and think those will be safe and secure enough then go for it. I don't know if I'd risk an entire large project on it though. You won't save much time if you have to go back and redo it. I'd test it out on some smaller jobs first.

SignsonTime

I have used them one time and they seemed sturdy. I am considering using them on a little larger sign this time 4'x4'. The website says you can build a deck with them( http://www.oz-post.com/html.php) and I have had a few sign guys tell me they use them. Well if anyone has used something like this please let me know how it worked out.

SignsonTime

Oz-Post™ represents both a change and advance in the concept of ground supports of a magnitude not seen for many years. Oz-Posts™ replace the traditional method of installing fence, signs, decks, and any other round or square posts. Oz-Posts™ are driven into the ground in minutes instead of spending hours digging holes and filling with concrete. Oz-Posts™ are available for nearly every size post you may need to install. Tests show that the Oz-Post™ is every bit of reliable as traditional post installations.
Also, Oz-Posts™ are fully retrievable and reusable allowing structures to be moved with no capital waste. As a result the Oz-Post™ can be used as both a permanent or temporary post installation system. Both on insertion and removal there is little or no environmental impact and wood posts are protected from rot caused by soil and moisture.
An Oz-Post™ can be easily installed in less than four minutes by only one person. The dramatic time savings compared to traditional methods will provide for a cost reduction and significant improvements in labor efficiency.

signmeup

They are difficult to place exactly where you want them. Getting two of these exactly 4 feet apart and plumb so you can mount a sign between them is pretty much impossible. If you hit a rock, you gotta move it over a bit. Great for a mailbox or birdhouse.... signs, not so much.

I use a shovel and crowbar to dig my holes. Keeps me fit.

Billct2

Only good for temporay installs around here. The stony New England soil just doesn't like them. Though I have used them for "removable" signs. Set one in concrete just below grade and the post can be dropped in for a day and them removed. Good for certain situations where a sign isn't in place all the time and an a frame won't work,

Sparky

I built a deck with them and they were great. You basically have 4" of the 4x4 post in the "stake" so I am not sure of wind-loading, but they do grab a hold of the 4x4 pretty good.

A tip - cut a piece of 4x4 about 5" long and use that to pound the stake into the ground. Once deep enough pull the 4x4 hammer surface out and your ready to go.

As far as placing, you can be pretty darn near precise. My deck was 20'x40' with three levels and I had a bunch of extra supports in the ground with these because they were easy to install. Rocks were not an issue under my deck, but I can see how that might cause a problem.

They are difficult to place exactly where you want them. Getting two of these exactly 4 feet apart and plumb so you can mount a sign between them is pretty much impossible. If you hit a rock, you gotta move it over a bit. Great for a mailbox or birdhouse.... signs, not so much.

+1

I used them ONCE. We cut a piece of 4x4 to use as a block to pound them into the ground -- very hard to get in square to each other and plumb...

Within a month the sign had blown over...

SignsonTime

Well I guess I'll be using the auger again. These look like a great product but I have not got good feedback on them here.....

ratchet

I've had experience repairing quite a few fences that were made with them... needless to say, they were replaced with something more permanent.

That being said: we get a fair amount of wind up here.

Baz

Hate those things ... Many times i am called to re-install signs that crooked or just structurally weak and guess what .. that's what they used. I do allot of digging in old/established city neighbourhoods and the best method is using a 5' steel digging pin along with a shovel. If in a field then an auger is the way to go.