• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Packaging Large Gatorboard / Ultraboard

GrandImageInc

Does anyone have any tips for packaging a 48x48 ultraboard print economically so that it can ship UPS or Fedex ground?

If it's absolutely not do-able, then what would you recommend as a maximum dimension for packaging UPS/Fedex Ground and how would you package?

Your help is MUCH appreciated!

Tamir

MikePro

in a box! :)

really tho', for shipping questions, I just Q&A my UPS delivery guy when he's at my shop everyday.

iprint

Check their website for maximum package sizes. We regularly ship similar items out sandwiched in between either plywood or scrap 1/2" gator/ultraboard. If using plywood, either band it or shrinkwrap the crap out of it. If using gator/ultra, we have gotten away with packing tape around the centers and sealing up the edges. Make sure what you are sandwiching it with is a tad oversized.

GrandImageInc

Thanks, iprint. Do you think a standard 1/2" foamcore would work to use for packaging or should I pay up for the ultraboard?

John Butto

Go to Home Depot and buy yourself some masonite and 1x's and build a correct box for shipping where you won't worry it gets dropped.

GrandImageInc

John - do you think the masonite alone would be good to sandwich a single print? Have you done this with packaging tape or something?

johnnysigns

We use masonite occasionally and more often 5-6mm coroplast to line the carton on all sides so an impact won't break anything. We rarely send this stuff regular ground service though, it's almost always a courier or shipping company.

How far does it have to go?

GrandImageInc

Hi Johnny,

If you default to a shipping company, like fedex freight, do you default to a skid or do they simply take care if better than the ground guys. Looking for boston to NYC

Pat Whatley

Your biggest problem is going to be that the prints are 48" x 48". Your packaging needs to be a little oversized so that you've got protection all around. Since standard materials are only 48" wide you're looking at having to seam pieces together.

darrell

Tamir,
I've have packaged large format graphics and it can be a challenge. Get familiar with what is an Oversize and what is Dimensional Weight from UPS and FEDEX. If you have a flatbed cutter and want to use it to create your own custom box I offer to you a temporary membership for www.sweetcutspro.com it is designed for a cutter operator to enter dimensions and produce the box out of corrugated cardboard. Your customers will be impressed and it will make you stand out from the competition. I say this with regards to real customer feedback where the large format printing had become a commodity. Also a box-in-a-box with the inner box surrounded by foam corners works great also - at that size though poly bagging or cardboard sheets will work as the inside package (support the center by making a pad out of cardboard pieces).