• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paid breaks and other employee benefits

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
How many of you get/give paid breaks during the day. I'm not talking about Paid Time Off (We offer that too), but paid smoke breaks, paid lunch breaks, etc.

Also, how rigid are your schedules? Do you let the guys simply get their work done and clock in and out accordingly or do you have a set time for work, lunch, breaks etc?

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm salary, so I normally just get screwed all around. :frustrated:

Hourly employees can take a paid smoke smoke break/stress break or two in AM & PM plus unpaid lunch time (1/2hr through 1 hr). As long as the work gets done, breaks are fine here.

Contracted installers can smoke all they want, as they have a set rate; as long as the job gets done when promised.

Getting here on time is most important to the owner & myself. But even that is lenient for most employees unless jobs are scheduled for first thing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We've always allowed one 15 minute paid break for three hours 45 minutes worked. Lunch breaks are unpaid. Scheduling of all breaks is done in coordination with employees and supervisors to insure that work flow and phone coverage in minimally affected.

ProWraps

How many of you get/give paid breaks during the day. I'm not talking about Paid Time Off (We offer that too), but paid smoke breaks, paid lunch breaks, etc.

Also, how rigid are your schedules? Do you let the guys simply get their work done and clock in and out accordingly or do you have a set time for work, lunch, breaks etc?

your state/federal labor law will dictate the answer to your question.

Mike F

I come in around 11-ish, leave around 7-ish. Paid smoke breaks, but no paid lunch. We actually get a half hour deducted from our time card each day unless we write "No lunch" next to each one. Can't complain, only time I have to be in right at 11 or earlier is when we have a job due early that day and we're expecting an early delivery of materials for said job, and I rarely have to stay late unless there's a rush job that has to be picked up or out the door by noon the next day.

Out of curiosity, who all has health insurance / offers it to their employees? We have it here, just medical and RX though, no vision or dental.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Pro said, breaks are mandatory by most standards in any field. It depends on part-time or full time help. If they are part time, doing less than 30 hours a week, I believe it's only one 20 minute break in a day. If they are full time, 1... 15 minute break in the first four hours and 1 in the second four hours with at least 1/2 for lunch. The breaks you pay, but the lunch can be on their time or you can pay it.

If an employee wants to take 3 - 5 minute breaks.... no can do. It's a solid 15 minutes. Sometimes, when we have a very monotonous job of weeding a whole bunch of small text for hours and hours, we will give a 5 minute break an hour in addition to the normal break, just to break up the monotony. We also pay for that, but it makes for happier employees.

ExposeJustin

We allow everyone a break in the morning and in the afternoon. Our work day is from 9am-6pm so breaks are at 10:30 and 3:30 and they take them like clockwork.

Lunchbreaks are 30 minutes to an hour un-paid.

rjssigns

Old job was two paid breaks per day. 8 minutes at 9a.m. then 20 minutes at noon. Then they went to 8 minutes paid at 9a.m. then 1/2hr unpaid lunch.

I would encourage Any & Every business owner to familiarize yourself with the laws in regards to this topic. If it is documented through employee journals, timecards,etc that they did not receive breaks in accordance with state/federal laws as well as proper compensation for overtime they will receive a judgement for that time & I have seen some that were LARGE sums of $ from years of employees not being allowed their breaks..almost in every instance this comes up after they quit /get fired / etc. In addition most states require that a 'poster' is placed where all employees can see what the laws are in regards to this topic.

FireSprint.com

Fortunately there are not a lot of laws about this both Federally and in my sate (Nebraska). About the only important thing that federal law states is that mandatory breaks under 20 minutes must be paid. But breaks are not required. Other than a non-paid lunch break in assembling plants, mechanical establishments, and workshops.

My question pertains to paid breaks. Just as a show of hands who offers pay for lunches.

Happyprinter

We do not pay lunches and allow up to 1 hr a day and as far as daily breaks, have nothing set in stone but, with that said, if someone needs a break during the day they can take what they need, within reason. In over 30 yrs have never had anyone abuse it. After weeding a tiny script font for and hr. they take 5 or 10 minutes until they can see straight again and get after it.

Circleville Signs

This discussion has been had here before, and as always, there are many varied answers. I have always been of the mind that hours don't matter - the job does. Any employees I have ever had don't have hours. We have a production schedule. Get the jobs done. That's all I care about. Why should an employee be tied to hours? I'm more concerned with quality of life. Get the job done - go home. If it takes 3 hours, good for you! If it takes 15? Well, thems the breaks!

FireSprint.com

This discussion has been had here before, and as always, there are many varied answers. I have always been of the mind that hours don't matter - the job does. Any employees I have ever had don't have hours. We have a production schedule. Get the jobs done. That's all I care about. Why should an employee be tied to hours? I'm more concerned with quality of life. Get the job done - go home. If it takes 3 hours, good for you! If it takes 15? Well, thems the breaks!

Do you pay hourly? Or per the job?

Circleville Signs

Employees have a salary. Not per job or per hour. There are weeks where we put in 80+ hours and weeks where employees have been here 20 hours.

jrsc

Part time hourly employees come and go as they want. As long as the work gets done I don't care what specific hours they work. If they leave for lunch they don't get paid. If they eat as they are working or sit down for 15 minutes in the shop to eat but are still available if needed to answer phones or grab stuff coming off machines they get paid.

ova

We are the exception to the rule. We have two employees. One for now because one is off for medical reasons.

Anyhow, we pay them for lunch. Also, if they have a doctor's appointment and can't get it after work hours, we let them go and come back and pay them while their gone. $300 Christmas bonus.

My reason for doing this is simple. I've worked in coal mines, steel mills, construction all my life. I've seen health deteriorate because of the stress and strain of the human body and mind. I've seen attitudes diminish because of companies demands on employees.

I refuse to put anyone thru this at my business. We try to make it as laid back as possible. We get a ton of work done, all make a decent living and most of the time we're all happy.

Sounds to good to be true, but that's the way we roll here. Anyone looking for a job?

Dave

Mosh

Back in the day our breaks were making lexan throwing stars and jumping the shop truck down terraces...then telling the boss a tree fell on the truck.....