• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paid breaks and other employee benefits

cdiesel

We don't have a "set" break schedule, but we have a few smokers who take their fair share. They also bust their asses, so it's all good. We have a solid team and nobody abuses.. About 70% of our people are salary. No paid lunch for hourly people. But everyone gets:

One week paid off a year between Christmas & New Year's
Paid holidays
100% Medical, dental & vision
401(k) match
Merit incentives & bonuses
Christmas bonus

And from what I've been told by many, much higher pay than comparable shops in our area offer. To top it all off, we're pretty cool to work for, and really appreciate our team. I think that's more important than the rest.

signswi

Pay people on salary and treat them like humans. Give them true flex time and generous time off. If it's a high schooler doing table work hourly and breaks according to state and federal law.

otctech

I'm in Omaha too. At both this job and my last I got two 15 min. paid and 30 min. unpaid.

That is working an 8 1/2 hr. day (including breaks)

I've always been able to take them when I want to, but I'm the tech so when everyone else goes to break is when I usually do P.M.s and stuff like that so I don't interrupt production.

Desert_Signs

We don't have a "set" break schedule, but we have a few smokers who take their fair share. They also bust their asses, so it's all good. We have a solid team and nobody abuses.. About 70% of our people are salary.

Be careful with salary. Salary doesn't mean what a lot of business owners think it means. For instance, both of my designers are salary, yet they still can earn overtime pay, per federal law. They are computer professionals, but they do not make more than 27.63/hr, therefore they are not exempt under the computer professional rule. They are, however, exempt under the "learned professional" rule. We work it out, but just be aware that the rules for who is not eligible for overtime is fairly specific. For instance, an employee who you call a manager; but you do not allow bona-fide input into business operations and hiring/firing, must be paid overtime (that sentence sucks, by the way lol).

A lot of owners learn this lesson far too late, as in when they get sued and have to come up with back pay for multiple employees. I'd just watch yourself. You might have 70% of your employees as bona-fide managers and computer professionals making more than $27.63 an hour or you might not. Just making someone salaried does not exempt them from overtime pay.

I come in about 6-6:30, do paperwork, schedule jobs, start printers, etc. As to my guys, I tell them what time I need them in (typically 9am) but if they need to come in earlier or later, it's OK with me as long as they let me know ahead of time. I'm only a stickler on being on time. If you say you're going to be in at 8am, you better be there at 8, not 8:05. We're done when we're done, although I rarely keep them late. I'm very very flexible on schedules. As long as the work gets done, I don't much care what they do, within reason. There are no scheduled lunch or smoke breaks. Take it when you want, just don't abuse it.

BTW, whats up with you stalking my territory today? :cool: I saw your van this morning on the way to work (around 35th ave and Tbird) and saw your lifted truck on the way home, passing 59th and Bell.

Last edited:

cdiesel

Thanks for the heads up on the FLSA. I'll be doing some more research.

We've been all over your area lately.. We've got a client that's got a few locations in your area that's been keeping us pretty busy.

SD&F

They guys here know how I roll. I want quality work, but not at the expense of cutting corners. I know what they need and I do not monitor them.(just the work) They take their smoke breaks during the day and they punch out for lunch. We treat each other with respect and do not take advantage. So yes, I pay for breaks. If someone takes advantage, they let me know.

Desert_Signs

Thanks for the heads up on the FLSA. I'll be doing some more research.

We've been all over your area lately.. We've got a client that's got a few locations in your area that's been keeping us pretty busy.

Cool! It's nice being busy, isn't it?

You might be OK on your salaried people. But, I would ask your accountant and double check for yourself. A lot of business owners really believe that just making someone salary is enough.

cdiesel

We actually use a PEO company (single best thing we've done since we started the company). I'll be talking to them about this to make sure we're in compliance.

On a side note, I STRONGLY suggest that each and every business owner should be using a payroll company. Another example <from Sticky's thread about his logo> of how hiring someone who can do something better/more efficiently/cheaper is a great idea.

And yes, great to be busy!

binki

Labor laws here in the PRC dictate very strict break polices, Basically a break for every 4 hours or work in the middle of the 4 hours and a meal break for 6 or more hours. The breaks to not have to be paid but they must be recorded. There is a $100 per occurance fine for non-compliance which can add up pretty quickly, 3 breaks a day per employee with no timecard is $300/day per employee.