• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Booth

Matthew Mariner

Hello, I'm trying to get a paint booth, we have the Matthews Paint System but we have problems with the finish and the environmental stuff. Does anybody know of a good brand and what to look for? Thanks in advance.

Matt

CreatedDesigns

GFS makes good booths but they are around 30k also check your local laws you may need UL listed and or fire surpression system this will raise the price a good bit even on a cheap crossflow from ABTM also powder coating it very helpful for helping with lighting. Also look into using carpet in the booth to keep dust down. Also check out Spray-tech. These are professional level booths. So cost will be a bit higher. A lot of people on this forum say buy the best. But I bet when it comes to paint booths and paint guns they will say harbor freight guns and ABTM booths instead of a GFS booth and Sata, Iwata spray guns.

Mosh

Better check with the local code enforcement...A body shop here in town put a new one in, found out they were not zoned in the first place for it, they had been there 25 years with there old set-up. Long story short they had to move!

knucklehead

Don't forget the new EPA regulations. They won't tell ya you're in violation, till you have the booth already set up.

TDFcustomSL

Working in the body shop industry full time I spray in a SprayZone.net booth. In the process of getting the air make up for it. It is a cross fire booth. I prefer a downdraft so if you can afford one I recommend it. Heat make up is also nice. Having the booth pressurized helps with cleanliness IMO

CreatedDesigns

Where have you been spraying up to this point?

Haha on the shop floor like everyone else! Everyone has a gun with a 3oz cup! No 6H violations here.......and everyone went to class to get their EPA Rule 40 part 63 certificate for spray painters (well at least I did anyway) And Yes I forgot to mention the SprayZone brand heard good reviews on their stuff. to get a good Downdraft with heated makeup will set you back around 100-125K

player

I have seen shops that have made their own booths out of sheet metal and a fan. Put in the automotive filters and if you are low use you might get by.

Robert M

I have one here in Colorado I need to move. It is 8 x 12 with the exterior heated air make up. It was new in 1995 and has been an expensive storage closet for the last 9 years. I'll send pictures if you are interested.

rjssigns

Safety wise you'll want to have escape doors. Preferably one on each of the long sides. Dove out one of them at my old job after the primer line broke.(attached to a 55 gallon drum) You have no idea the volume of paint that gets released. And the way it whips around is a whole other story.

More important is fire suppression. The booths I sprayed in had sprinklers. Heads were 6' on center over the length and width. Had one of those pop at random too.(I lead a charmed life)

OSHA may require you to have flow meters on the ventilation. If so they need to be checked and logged everyday. They are used to indicate filter replacement

Probably want to invest in booth coat and an airless to apply it. Plus the flame retardant floor covering. Makes clean up a snap.

Shoot suits, positive pressure breathing apparatus, nitrile gloves etc... I still use a 3M vortex for fresh air.

I painted in an industrial environment for quite a while.