• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint coming off!!!!!!!! Ugghhhh!

sghobbies

In the middle of wrapping a 12 passenger "people mover", had to re position a panel, and off comes a HUGE piece off paint (you can see where someone had applied bondo previously), even loosened the paint on the panel I had just installed. How would you guys handle this? Does it need to be stripped down and repainted? Or is there an easier way to tackle this? I couldn't tell there was any paint work done before the paint came off.

Billct2

I would handle it by immediately calling the customer and telling them that their vehicle had a poorly done paint job and they needed to get that straightened out before you could proceed.

signage

I would handle it by immediately calling the customer and telling them that their vehicle had a poorly done paint job and they needed to get that straightened out before you could proceed.

+1 on the above statement. Also I hope you informed the customer this could happen and had then sign a work order explaining that it can and will happen if repainted and that work was not done properly! Good Luck!

OldPaint

the advantage of "experience" shoulda prevailed here. YOU shoulda looked the vehicle over, seen it was a cheap repaint, and that the possibility of this happening was very good. like others have said YOU shoulda TOLD THE OWNER of the vehicle, after YOU saw it was a cheap repaint...........THE POSSIBILITY OF THE PAINT PEELING......was also very possible, and then asked them how they would handle that. this is a "learning experience" for YOU!!! hope YOU have a good relationship with the owner, if not YOU WILL HAVE TO FIX IT!!!
there is a lot more to this business then hittin PRINT & HANGIN VINYL)))))))

John Butto

South Georgia+people mover=blueberry picking time or going to Baptist church outing.
Fabricate #2 more panels and go right back over the bondo and collect your money and tell the guy you saved him some money by not having to repaint.

sghobbies

I took a small piece of scotch tape to another area on the van and same problem. A buddy of mine in the paint and body biz stopped by a few minutes ago and said that they didn't use the proper sealer or possibly no sealer and that all of the paint will have to be stripped and repainted. When I did my initial walk-around on the vehicle, it looked fine. There were really no signs to give me any indication that there could be a problem. That being said, I wish I had used the scotch tape method when he first dropped off the bus. Lesson learned I suppose. :banghead: Wish I could take a mulligan.

signage

Are you saying you could not tell the vehicle had been repainted?

When I see a vehicle that has been repainted or repaired I let of the possibility's.

SolitaryT

We had one of these last year. Wound up refunding the customer's money and he went to a place in Seattle to get the wrap done. Wash your hands of it, unless you put out all of the appropriate disclaimers.

cartoad

Had similar problem on a "donated" car from a car dealer for a promotion, short term wrap only 60 days, on removal paint clear coat came off in large chunks. Got lucky, since the car was donated, the wrap was donated and the winner just go lucky no one had to stand good, but a real learning experience. Now on any vehicle that we find suspect we use the tape, and recently have been buying a tape from Fellers to use to test.

radiohead223

it's not just cars that you have to look at testing the paint at times.... i've had painting coming off many things over teh years.... shop fitouts always seem to be a pain... the fitout is done so fast that the painter never preps things well and either doesn't undercoat or paints over dusty walls..... makes it hard to fit anything to the wall when paint doesn't hold.

Salmoneye

A paint job can look perfect, even if there is no primer underneath (that is until it fails). Signed release, photos as evidence, not your problem; Inform your client, cover it up and hope for the best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
sgh.....

I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes it is very hard to tell what corners the guy before you took to get his part of the pie. I often times will point blank ask the person if this is a re-paint or not. If they admit to it, regardless of what it looks like, I will tell them, I guarantee nothing. Anything happens, it’ll be on you.

If someone doesn’t know or let me know in advance of a re-paint and something happens after into the job, I will usually call them and tell them what happened and I won’t charge them any extra to finish the job. They get the choice of how they want to proceed.

After a spot or two peel, it’s very obvious if the prep work on a re-paint was done properly or not. Just don’t take any gruff from the guy and demand payment for whatever work was performed on your end before the vehicle leaves your shop.

Farmboy

We just had this happen a few days ago on a store that we were applying letters to. Lettering going on the side of a tin building. Paint came off with the first piece of transfer tape. Stopped right there, called the owner and explained what was happening, he came right out. He explained the building had been painted last year by a "professional" and that he used a paint that bonds to metal. As I looked it over closer I noticed that there were paint runs on just about every screw head. So he's having us make two 4x10 poly panels that he'll install. I would not want to be the painter, the owners not happy.

47CP

If it is a Ford Van, especially in white, the factory paint just doesn't stick very well. I have a 2003 van that we bought used in 2005. The paint peeled off the roof right before the warranty expired and Ford repainted the top.

A year or so later, the paint started peeling off the lower parts of the doors. It has a stripe of missing paint down the whole side now.

There was/is no indication before the paint falls off. One day it looks normal then the next it blisters in a chunk and falls off.

DaveW

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I hope this works out and you break even or come out on top.

Everyone has a story like this ... here's mine:
We had a refurbished 40ft bus to wrap that had just been shipped in.
The paint was rough - a quick "make it white" wash job you'd expect off a used car lot.

Everything went ok until we got down around the wheel openings.
When we tried to lift and reposition the Controltac big thick chunks of material stuck to the film. Turns out it was grease and road grime packed into some grooves in the panels near the lip.
It had been painted smooth & solid on the surface and looked just like part of the body.
First time I have seen grease painted that well.
Was not a big issue as the customer knew the paint and body was not up to par and part of reason for the wrap was to hide some of the paintwork.

wayne k
guam usa