• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint cure time?

Dennis422

I'm looking to work on a Ford E250 that is being re-painted right now.
It will have brand new coat of paint and I have heard that there is a certain time that paint needs to cure before the vinyl should be applied.

I was going to use combination or Air Release vinyl and a Oracal 751. It will have decent coverage, but I would not consider it a partial wrap.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ask the people painting it, what kinda paint they're using and what they recommend with your applying very sticky items onto it and then pulling on them.

I do alot of racecars, so alot of times its fresh paint. From my experiance i always tell people at least a couple weeks for the paint to cure.

heyskull

If it is 2 pack paint and has been through an oven it should be OK.
If it is an oil based paint about 2-3 months, and even then it will be soft in places.

But if you are concerned still, and if this sounds strange!
Smell the paintwork.
If it still smells of paint/solvents it is still not completely dry.

I have had issues with clients rushing vehicles to be lettered soon after been painted and if the paint has not dried after a week or so the vinyl can blister and you will have all types of problems.
Also the other problem is the vinyl can literally become part of the paint finish and when later removing can lift the paint off with it!

I would bring these points to your client and get them to sign a disclaimer if their is any way these could be an issue.

SC

Jillbeans

No matter what anyone tells me I always always wait 4 weeks, if it is before then I would make the client sign a waiver saying that my company is not responsible for any paint damage that might be incurred upon application or removal of decals.
Love....Jill

signage

If it is 2 pack paint and has been through an oven it should be OK.
If it is an oil based paint about 2-3 months, and even then it will be soft in places.

But if you are concerned still, and if this sounds strange!
Smell the paintwork.
If it still smells of paint/solvents it is still not completely dry.

I have had issues with clients rushing vehicles to be lettered soon after been painted and if the paint has not dried after a week or so the vinyl can blister and you will have all types of problems.
Also the other problem is the vinyl can literally become part of the paint finish and when later removing can lift the paint off with it!

I would bring these points to your client and get them to sign a disclaimer if their is any way these could be an issue.

SC

This should be standard practice, and especially on a repaint/repair!

Jillbeans

...paint can outgas and cause bubbs in your vynull.
I have also had paint which came off on the app tape or masking tape.
Yup, I live in Redneckville USA.
And you're not far away.