• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Damage from Wrap Install

Tek Wrap

I had a customer just call (a good customer too), saying that he just removed an old wrpa we did to sell the truck and has found scratches in the paint from my trimming. This wrap did require some hand cutting on the vehicle. I am sick to my stomach right now and need to go view the damage. Has anyone else dealt with this type of issue?

Thanks!
Corey

Never cut against paint.... unless your using a slide knife. If you can for sure tell it was from your cuts you might have to eat it. Or buy the truck from him.

rjssigns

Unless you went through the clear coat you'll be fine. If its single stage and you didn't hit primer you're golden. Nothing a detail shop can't handle.

If you weren't so far away I could "get er did" for ya. Proverbial piece of Baklava.

For the future, use some knife less tape or practice your blade skills. New blade each cut, and just about the weight of the blade will cut it. Hopefully it's just faint scratches on the clear and can be compounded and buffed out.

Billct2

Yep. I'd check it out and tell him you'll pay to have them buffed out, he is selling it and it's not like its a Bugatti Pickup right?

Bretbyron

You hope they are scratches. Scratches can be buffed. You will be able to tell by the color of the "scratches" usually. If it looks light colored "white" it is not all the way through to the base coat, If you can see a black or dark hairline you probably cut to deep. It also depend on if it is single stage paint or two or three stage. DO NOT just start buffing on it with compound until you are pretty sure what it is. Take it to your most trusted PROFESSIONAL body shop and see if they can help. They might be able to buff it or dab a little single stage color or clear then buff it.

Being an Automotive refinish Tech for many years I have seen it many times. Prepping a door and quarter panel to be blended and at the end of the quarter panel their is a slice were some had installed aftermarket stripes, DOH! The Insurance company will have you clear right over it.:banghead:

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Tek Wrap

Thanks for the replies everyone, Going to see the truck now. I consider myself pretty savvy with a blade. So I am hoping it can be buffed! I will let you a ll know :-/

phototec

Yep, you should never cut into the paint, if you did it it's on you.

However, I would tell him you will get it fixed, and as mentioned, take it to a pro (body shop) and get their advice on how to proceed to get the scratches out.

If they say the cuts are only in the clear coat finish, they can be filled and buffed out with scratch repair kit, then I would do it myself, easy peasy.

[video=youtube;GDK7lEeGzCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDK7lEeGzCk[/video]

If they are deep cuts and require re-painting, offer the body shop guys some signage in trade for them fixing the deep scratches....

:thumb:

Attachments

• Turlel Wax-premium-scratch-repair-kit.png
    Turlel Wax-premium-scratch-repair-kit.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 89

Tek Wrap

So I went and looked the the scratch. I left a long mark along the top of the graphic that ran across the side of the truck. The truck is black and has scratches everywhere. The one I left, while long, will buff out with some compound I believe..... *whew*

rjssigns

So I went and looked the the scratch. I left a long mark along the top of the graphic that ran across the side of the truck. The truck is black and has scratches everywhere. The one I left, while long, will buff out with some compound I believe..... *whew*

Have client sign off then. Here is what will happen. You will take care of the scratch you made, which will leave a gorgeous shiny area and the rest of the truck will look like crap. See where I'm goin' with this.

You will be caught in a never ending downward spiral unless you set limits. He's probably going to try and squeeze you for a complete buff. Trust me.