• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paint dipping dimensional items?

letterman7

This is more for a finishing technique than building a sign; I've got a customer that wants 30 to 40 small (10") routed 3/4" pvc items that have quite a few routed through details on them. All will be the same color, I'm trying to figure out the fastest, easiest way to get a consistent coat on them that won't eventually chip off. Spraying is the obvious choice, but with the small detail openings I'm afraid of missing some portions, so I thought about dipping them in a paint bucket. The obvious flaw here is that there are bound to be some runs as it dries.. anyone have some suggestions on how else to approach? The pvc isn't available in this particular color, by the way!
Thanks,
Rick

nwsigns

I have done the old dip technique with tiny parts and if your paint is thin enough you should not have too much trouble. I use Matthews paint with a hardener so its pretty thin. I dip, place them onto a sheet of release liner and come back every 5 to 10 minutes and just push them around a little which will prevent the paint from blobbing on the bottom.

Jillbeans

That and carefully blow some compressed air into the nooks and crannies.
I've done this with HDU stuff, I stick toothpicks in the backs, but that may not work with PVC.
Love....Jill

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
30 - 40 signs would be a pain on the butt, especially with thin paint as the paint can thin out around the detailed areas... spray them, if some are not sprayed well, a light sanding and hit 'em again.

letterman7

Thanks folks! I'll have to experiment with a batch of 10 and do each batch with alternative methods to see which will keep me more sane!
R