• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint flaking under wrap

routierracing

I have a customer interested in wraping his hood "instead of painting it" So what do you guys usually say to this? Suggest a professional paint job before you're willing to touch it? What about sanding the bad spots and hitting it with primer.

I guess my real question is how good does the new paint job need to be?

trimitbyrich

the wrap will not stick to the primer. Its like getting a decal to stick to a piece of chalk. It will only be as good as the quality of the surface under it. We always recommend a professional paint job, just dont make it your problem.

WrapperX

How bad is the existing paint on the hood? if its all bubbly and actively chipping he's better off not wrapping it.

Tell him to go the junk yard and buy a hood for his car, one that isn't chipping and then you can wrap that.

housemusikid

I had a wrap last week that was peeling. The panels were not sticking because his clear coat was coming off. We had him sand it and clear coat it and the vinyl stuck. I have never seen anything like that!