• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

paint for MDO

MartinJones

So I have a customer that has ordered a MDO sign. It will be black with gold vinyl lettering, so my question is, what type of paint do i use for the MDO so the vinyl will stick good. I've read alot of posts about lettering falling off of painted surfaces because the paint wont let the vinyl stick, so what should I use?

Martin

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget to fill in the voids and sand & tack between coats.

The vinyl falling off, is due to certain latex paints.

visual800

I would go with latex, BEHR satin. Ive had no issues with that holding vinyl, just make sure you spray it or apply with foam roller. keep your coats thin and dry it out well.

I will ask why the hell did they with MDO and that gold is not going to last outside very well

SignosaurusRex

If you are using a non "pre-primed" MDO... Use a "two-sided" MDO and a good oil-based primer such as a Zinser brand premium product.
Lightly sand the primer with a good "no-fill" 320 grit sandpaper and make sure all sanding dust is removed. I like to remove the sanding dust and wipe the primer down with a quality grade Mineral Spirits or Paint thinner and let it dry. Wipe it down with a clean cloth or "Tack-Cloth" and apply the with finish coat.
Chromatic brand Bulletin Black [HASHTAG]#4010021[/HASHTAG] is a good choice but Rustoleum High-Performance (Silver Label) will work just as well. Try to stay away from pre-primed MDO. That primer is total crap.
If possible, either spray your finish coat or use an 1/8" (nap) foam roller such as a Wooster "Tiz" roller # R730-7" or R730-9". A second coat of finish color will give you a higher gloss. If you do add a second coat of finish color.... lightly scuff the previous coat with "Scotch-Brite" to give it some added "tooth" for the second coat to bite.

Last edited: