Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

paint for MDO

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by MartinJones, Sep 17, 2018.

1. MartinJones

MartinJones Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Federal Way, WA
    So I have a customer that has ordered a MDO sign. It will be black with gold vinyl lettering, so my question is, what type of paint do i use for the MDO so the vinyl will stick good. I've read alot of posts about lettering falling off of painted surfaces because the paint wont let the vinyl stick, so what should I use?

Martin

Tags:
  2. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I would use a good oil based enamel with proper priming.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Don't forget to fill in the voids and sand & tack between coats.

The vinyl falling off, is due to certain latex paints.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Chromatic Bulletin Enamel or Ronan Sign Paint, both available from your sign supplier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would go with latex, BEHR satin. Ive had no issues with that holding vinyl, just make sure you spray it or apply with foam roller. keep your coats thin and dry it out well.

I will ask why the hell did they with MDO and that gold is not going to last outside very well

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    Why MDO?

7. Pippin Decals

Pippin Decals Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Ca.
    I use Gloss Rustoleum oil based. Prime first and seal the edges.

8. MartinJones

MartinJones Member

Aug 9, 2016
    Federal Way, WA
    MDO is what the customer wanted, I couldnt change their mind, so its what i have to go with. So im getting the idea that i should use oil based!

• Like Like x 1
  9. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    If you are using a non "pre-primed" MDO... Use a "two-sided" MDO and a good oil-based primer such as a Zinser brand premium product.
    Lightly sand the primer with a good "no-fill" 320 grit sandpaper and make sure all sanding dust is removed. I like to remove the sanding dust and wipe the primer down with a quality grade Mineral Spirits or Paint thinner and let it dry. Wipe it down with a clean cloth or "Tack-Cloth" and apply the with finish coat.
    Chromatic brand Bulletin Black #4010021 is a good choice but Rustoleum High-Performance (Silver Label) will work just as well. Try to stay away from pre-primed MDO. That primer is total crap.
    If possible, either spray your finish coat or use an 1/8" (nap) foam roller such as a Wooster "Tiz" roller # R730-7" or R730-9". A second coat of finish color will give you a higher gloss. If you do add a second coat of finish color.... lightly scuff the previous coat with "Scotch-Brite" to give it some added "tooth" for the second coat to bite.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1