• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint for plastics

armandolo

Not sure if I'm posting to the right forum. I am looking for a paint to paint acrylic with. krylon Fusion works fine but most of the time I need a custom color. Dont want to prime it either as half the time I do subsurface paint anyways. Been using a laquer based paint but want to switch to either latex or oil based. Any suggestions.

What kind of paint it Krylon Fusion anyways? Can you get that in custom colors?

oh yea, we spray with HVLP spray gun typically

thank you

OldPaint

got a BODY SHOP or NAPA auto parts?????
body shops ............the biiger ones some have PAINT MIXING SYSTEMS.......... or NAPA does this also. if you can give either one a swatch of the color..........you want.............they have formulas to mix them. myself..............for years, i have used AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL and sprayed it for panels and boards backgrounds. will outlast most any other paint. spraying on plastic, perfectly....as the reducers for A/E tend to "bite" the plastic for a long lasting finish.
also most body shops are using a URETHANE paint now...........it will also work on plastic same way.

MikePro

if you spray with HVLP, then you have a paint supplier.
typically, when we have issues, we will discuss with our supplier what options they have available before muddying the waters with options you find online that are hard to obtain locally.
#justsayin'

anywho, you're not gonna get a good HVLP paint that doesn't require an adhesion promoter (like gripflex), so if you want to go with something one-shot-and-done, then go with Krylon Fusion for Plastics (out of a can).

armandolo

Situation is this. Can't use Krylon because the color I use most is custom. We had a store make laquer based paint and put it in a can for us but there are issues with that and I don't want to use laquer. Just invested in entry level HVLP (from Home Depor). I will invest in Sata and Iwata but want to make sure I dual in to a paint type so I can pick a right tip (don't know what size is appropriate).

I went to Kelly Moore paint to get 100% acrylic paint but they said it won't stick to plastic and I need a plastic primer. So that's not a solution either as I paint subsurface 35-40% of the time. I'm new at this (less then a year) so any direction or paint recommendation is very appreciated. I will check Napa Auto.

So, I can not spray Grip Flex with HVLP??? I don't have experience with that paint and don't know.

OldPaint

PAY ATTENTION...............YOU GOT A SPRAY GUN.. HVLP.........then you must know where to buy AUTOMOTIVE ACRYLIC ENAMEL OR URETHANE SINGLE STAGE PAINT!!!!!!!!!!
i worked at NAPA for 15 years..........i was the outside saleman......AUTO BODY PAINT was my specialty.
they can mix any color you want............some places can put either A/E or URETHANE in a spray can......
either paint WILL ADHERE TO PLASTIC!!!!!!!!!!
as for a primer................it helps to have a primer on any thing you paint. AUTO BODY FLEXIBLE PANEL PRIMER aditive is what they use on front and rear PLASTIC FASCIA of autos.

Billct2

OP if you were paying attention you'd have read that he is doing these mostly subsurface (what we used to just call reverse) on plastic so he can't use a primer.
My suggestion is Grip Flex, it's designed for painting plastic signs. But as OP said most auto paints will work fine as long as you want an opaque finish.

7oaks

Latex paint will stick to acrylic (a post on here said it would). I needed a small double sided sign to attach to glass and decided to try this out. I brushed the back and the front was awesome. lettered both sides and put the painted side to the glass.

Not sure what your application. Acrylic on a wall--the only way to go.

Ken