• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint guard removal advice

decalman

I got a prospect that wants me to remove his paint~ rock chip protector that's on his fiberglass motorhome.
He's going to repaint the front cap so it's okay to scratch it a little.

I've taken one of these off years ago and it was a real hassle.
Anyone have any pointers along with the heat gun and scraper tool.

I don't think vinyl off will penetrate this plastic stuff.....but who knows?
Your help is appreciated

Ready

Ready To Go
I got a prospect that wants me to remove his paint~ rock chip protector that's on his fiberglass motorhome.
He's going to repaint the front cap so it's okay to scratch it a little.

I've taken one of these off years ago and it was a real hassle.
Anyone have any pointers along with the heat gun and scraper tool.

I don't think vinyl off will penetrate this plastic stuff.....but who knows?
Your help is appreciated

I searched on line for 3m rock chip protector removal from RV and found some interesting youtube videos you may find informative.
The individual doing this work said he charges $850 +. Certainly worth a look....

Bob P

waximoff

I use wall paper remover steamers from Menards. They run about 35-40 bucks. Signage is right though, It can cause damage so test the temps first.

IsItFasst

On my car it came off pretty easy. But I did it during the summer and the stuff was only a few years old (and probably garaged the entire time too). The car is fiberglass and carbon fiber and neither gave me any issues since it was warm and mostly came off in large sections.

decalman

We use an industrial steamer for alot of removal. We connect a plunger to the head of it and move it across as the film is removed. It's about a grand for the one we use. Here's a link. https://www.daimer.com/steam-cleane...25V1lpOhicCSdHnxhP2rL2klrF2apeExoCQXAQAvD_BwE
I am interested in a steamer like this a thousand bucks seems reasonable.

I do boatloads of removal.
I'm just wondering what's it like ?
what can I expect?
I'll probably have to look up a YouTube video.
Thanks for the link I will save it

decalman

I searched on line for 3m rock chip protector removal from RV and found some interesting youtube videos you may find informative.
The individual doing this work said he charges $850 +. Certainly worth a look....

Bob P

Thanks for the video.
I ordered some of those plastic chiselers.
16. $ Amazon . I believe I can do it.
I'm charging a lot if I do. Otherwise, no dice.