• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Lexan?

ucmj22

So I am going to be putting up a lexan sign in the next couple of days and have what seems like a very basic question. Do I need to paint the lexan white before I put the translucent printed vinyl down? I put up a white acrylic sign with a transparent print on it about 6 months ago, and you can see where the florescent tubes are at night. Would pre painting it white diffuse the light enough to not show the lights?

fmg

So I am going to be putting up a lexan sign in the next couple of days and have what seems like a very basic question. Do I need to paint the lexan white before I put the translucent printed vinyl down? I put up a white acrylic sign with a transparent print on it about 6 months ago, and you can see where the florescent tubes are at night. Would pre painting it white diffuse the light enough to not show the lights?
NO paint!

jwright350

your sign mat'l supplier should have a diffuser material you can put behind the lexan face

the stuff i've seen is like 1/8" thick white foam... its strange, but it gets rid of the shadow caused by the light tubes in shallow cabinets

ucmj22

I had never used paint before, but the panels we took out today had a white paint base under the translucent vinyl made me wonder if this was something I was missing.

UFB Fabrication

How deep is the cabinet? S/F or D/F ? Flat or pan face? The problem may not be with the face and the faces may be to close to the lamps or the lamps may to far apart on center.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If your cabinet is more than 4" to 4-1/2" from face to lamp, you should be fine without painting. You need that distance to keep the lamps from giving you those 'Hot Spots'. If the distance is less, you need to use a pan face. There is really no alternative.... either 4" or so...... or a pan face.

As for painting, their are a few manufacturers you can use. Grip Flex is probably the best known. This must be sprayed on... and you have to know what you're doing or you'll ruin the face.

In your situation, it doesn't sound as if you need paint, but just the right distance between lamps and face.

ucmj22

Thanks alot for the help. the panels are flat and the box is a foot deep w/ a panel on both sides, so it sounds like I should be OK with just the vinyl. It just threw me off a little when I saw the paint on the panel we are replacing. Thanks again

skyhigh

the panel you are replacing was clear in the beginning. I'm assuming you are using the white material again?

ucmj22

actually the panel I am replacing was white acrylic, with a white paint layer and I am replacing it with white Lexan