• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint mask vinyl recommendation

Colt

I was looking at doing a painting with Acrylic Lacquer paint. I was planning on cutting out some paint mask (stencil) vinyl to use as a paint mask. This is going to be a flat surface, so I'd like to use the thicker type stencil vinyl.

Do you have any recommendations on stencil vinyl that won't leave behind any residue, and cuts fairly well with a vinyl cutter?

I did try some Oracal. And all left residue on my test piece other than the white 811. Though I did do another test and left the 811 vinyl on for 5 hours or so, and the 811 did peel up a little bit of the paint. So, I figured I'd keep looking for something else that is more suited for lacquer type paint as the 811 isn't made for that, but seemed to work okay in my first short timed test piece.

visual800

get you some cheap vinyl like oracal 641 instead of paying for mask. I used it on eradicating awning one times and was eradication with urethane thinner and it stodd up just fine for the time i was allowed before it started to curl

i would do a test though with different vinyls

Stuckup

I dare to say, the trick is to peel the Mask off at the correct time. Not too dry to peel off the paint and cause serration, just dry enough and wet enough for the paint to tear smoothly, if the paint hardens, not much will give you a straight edge.

Colt

i believe fellers.com sells vinyl for paint mask stencils. it is made for that.

Does it work with Lacquer paints? The paint mask Oracal told me to use with Lacquer paint left residue after peeling the mask off. Luckily it was just a sample. But I know one paint mask Fellers sells is Oracal. So, I don't know what brand paint mask you are referring to.

So, I was wanting to know about the paint masks that is known to work with Lacquer paints before I buy. I could just buy it all up and try, but that's a waste of money if someone knows for sure what works with Lacquer paints and cuts well in a cutter.

Colt

I dare to say, the trick is to peel the Mask off at the correct time. Not too dry to peel off the paint and cause serration, just dry enough and wet enough for the paint to tear smoothly, if the paint hardens, not much will give you a straight edge.

The problem I've had so far is the vinyl leaving residue on the background paint I stuck it to. So you stick it on something already painted, pull it off after a couple of hours as a test. And you can see where the vinyl was at.

So, I need to figure out a mask that won't do that first. Then I'll have to paint it to see if it melts the vinyl.

Colt

get you some cheap vinyl like oracal 641 instead of paying for mask. I used it on eradicating awning one times and was eradication with urethane thinner and it stodd up just fine for the time i was allowed before it started to curl

i would do a test though with different vinyls

Do you think that vinyl won't leave any residue behind on Acryic Lacquer?

The test pieces I've done, is layed a base coat. Let it sit for like a week to make sure it was cured. Then stuck on the vinyl for several hours, then peeled it off to see if you could see where the vinyl was.

I was going to order some vinyl, so I'll see if I could get some sheets to test out.

I'll probably see if I could get some paint mask samples from Avery and 3M to try.

visual800

i made this statement in another masking post. I use to use a ton of outdated sparcal, it helpd great ripped off perfectly and NEVER left any residue, but now I cant find anymore/. maybe I wuld suggest just to go with expensive masking that will work with what you want

Colt

I did some testing with Avery paint mask. Stuck it on for a few hours and pulled it off. It left no adhesive. Next test would be to lay some paint mask down. Then spray it to make sure that works okay and not melt it or something.

Steve G.

I use R Tape paint mask with with automotive urethane and it works flawlessly.
Cuts and weeds great, no residue, can reposition many times and holds up to solvents well.