Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paint peeling off trailer

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by D&Tgraphics, Mar 7, 2013.

1. D&Tgraphics

D&Tgraphics Very Active Member

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    Ok So here is my issue. I was putting vinyl on a trailer today and when we were pulling off the transfer tape a ton of the paint came with it. It is an 08 black trailer. I have never seen anything like this happen before. It was in very good shape and wasn't repainted or anything. It was factory paint. We called the dealer to see what they thought and they said something to the effect that those black panels are actually ran through a printer or something and the black is actually an ink. I'm thinking a flatbed but that doesn't make any sense. The manufaturer is out of business now. We tried calling them.
    We have a possible solution to fix the effected areas, it will add cost to the job and our customer is understanding but, what a pain in the ***. It's been a hell day. Any ideas or thoughts on what could have caused this. Improper paint job or something?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      50.5 KB
      Views:
    Tags:
  2. ironchef

ironchef Very Active Member

May 1, 2012
    Miami, FL
    Ayayai, i feel for you brotha

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    It looks like it wasn't prepped properly before painting.

4. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'd bet you almost anything, that has been re-painted..... and poorly.

If you look around a little, you should find some evidence of over-spray somewhere.

Another question would be...... on your second picture, who put that white panel on the black ?? You're not gonna get a factory paint job with a cut-out panel on it. Someone's screwed up here.

This shouldn't cost you a thing. I'd be right upfront with the customer and tell him, sorry, but this isn't my fault. We can fix it, but it's gonna take time and some money.

5. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    Holy crap!
    I suspect a repaint as well.
    I wish I had a solution for you.
    :(
    Love....Jill

6. D&Tgraphics

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    Gino, that white panel was applied by us. It's part of a hammer handle.
    This not costing us a dime. My customer understands that he is going to have added cost. It's not our fault. :)

7. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    Not necessarily a repaint. I have a friend in the sheet metal business and he has had panels come in factory painted that are just simply a bad batch. As a lot of you know, paint is never perfect. To tell if its a repaint as Gino said, look for over spray. Another thing to look for is are the panels scuffed big time like they were sanded down to bare surface for a repaint? If they don't appear sanded and you don't see multiple layers (you will be able to tell if they were layered at different times), then it is most likely factory paint.

8. Mike Paul

Mike Paul Major Contributor

Dec 30, 2003
    NJ
    If it was repainted the Torx screws would be black.
    Looks like original paint but defective. It's hard to tell from the pics
    because some of the screws look silver and others look Black...

9. D&Tgraphics

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    Yeah I highly doubt re-paint. There was only 1 layer of paint, the aluminum was very smooth and it only effected 2 of the 3 sides. The drivers side went on perfectly. It was only the passenger side and back that had issues. I'm assuming a bad batch that was used on those 2 sides.

10. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Member

May 13, 2012
    They painted over bare metal.....never primed it.

11. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Same happened to me a few years back.Guarantee you this is aftermarket paint job.

12. PrintzandPatternz

PrintzandPatternz Member

Dec 31, 2012
    I had a van that I stripped vinyl off of and it took paint right with it all the way to primer. I called the customer and they knew it wasnt my fault. They had the van repainted two years before I got it to strip and applied the graphics on the very next day. It was a faulty paint job and I would say that was just a faulty aftermarket paint

13. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    did he buy this new or used? it looks like maybe they replaced the side panels and whe they did, they just painted aluminum without primer. on the back of the black that is coming off, is there any look of it being primed or is it kind of shiny black?

14. Baz

Baz Very Active Member

This is what i think this is also. One finishing coat over bare metal. To re-do it properly you would have to remove all of the existing paint and start over using proper primer and top coat. If not you are risking the same thing hapening again.

15. qmr55

qmr55 Very Active Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Yardville NJ
    If you are repainting this check out etching primer. Works wonders on aluminum.

16. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    Ah the feeling you get when pulling transfer tape off and the paint is coming with it.Not a good moment.My condolences to you.

17. D&Tgraphics

May 17, 2007
    Lockport, NY
    Thanks for all the replys. The customer understood the problem and just wanted to fix the issues and move on. He understands the risks and knows that there are issues that might come up in the future. We did a complete coverage on the back door to cover up the huge blank areas and then we prime etched and painted the spots the came off between some of the letters. We then cut new lettering and overlayed. It's DEFINETLY polishing a turd but it worked. Not the way I would usually do things but he just wanted to get it done and out the door. It was a bad layout to boot too. He changed every cool thing I had planned. Oh well. I guess sometimes you have crap like this happen. Good thing is, he was extremely happy with how everything turned out.
    So, ok, now tear me a new one for everything I did wrong. Get set, go........

image-3587547362.png

image-862626717.png

18. signgirl

signgirl Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Illinois
    Been there and done that! It had to be repainted and not prepped right

19. Wraptrick

Wraptrick Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Looks good!