• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint prep stages and vehicle wrap adhesion

worthy1

Hi all,

Newish to the forums (posting wise) and semi new to Vehicle wrapping. Have done a fair few cars but they have all been gloss coated paint jobs.

I know vehicle wrapping vinyl (avery supreme, 3m 1080 etc) is designed, recommended and tested on factory vehicle paints. Obviously it can be used for a number of other applications i.e plastic parts

My question is what stages of vehicle body prep process have people stuck on the vinyl with no issues e.g bare metal, primer etc, car filler (sanded).

Interested in and answer to the above but particularly also around wraps people have done on keyed cars. I have a customer that has a pretty nasty word keyed into their bonnet (wont go into what :) ) and they want to get rid of the hi ridges, ad some filler and try to get it as smooth as possible before getting me to wrap.

Will any of this be an issue to the adhesion of the wrap? if so would some 3M surface primer help?

Thanks in advance

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
They need to take it to a bodyshop. At the very minimum it needs to be filled, sanded smooth, and primed with a professional 2K Urethane or Epoxy primer. At this point you might as well paint the part. All the hard work is done.

Long and short of it. Wrapping the part isn't going to fix it. All parts need to be painted professionally or your wrap is going to sooner or later fail in the repaired area.

visual800

Just go ahead and wrap the damn thing it will be fine. If someone is at the point of wrapping a vehicle they dont care about the paint lets be realistic.

worthy1

Thanks For the info Mike, thats great info for the stages of body prep. I guess for all other surfaces it is trial and error, obviously it can be stuck to other things than car panels i.e plastic car parts, headlights etc

Visual800, I guess as a business owner i have a duty of care to inform the customer of potential issues. Its not that they do not care about paint, but they have heard of and found a cheaper alternative. I would rather inform them of potential issues and have them make their mind up whether they want to take the risk and wrap it.

I guess this is a personal choice but happy to lose a customer than not inform them and just wrap it and it doesnt stick or a few days later it lifts. They will then be pi$$ed i didnt tell them and that they now have to fork out for a paint job anyway. Bad word of mouth is bad for business.

Thanks for the responses.