• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint Problems

Sven

I've been using Benjamin Moore Impervex Latex High Gloss Enamel and a high quality roller sleeve for painting HDU and MDO signs, and I've been getting a rough orange-peel texture. This is especially a problem on the MDO, on which I usually have to apply vinyl. The vinyl just does not adhere well to this rough texture. How can I get a smooth, glossy surface rolling? What paints are commonly used for HDU/MDO, and do most people roll or spray?

mrchips

Here's a pretty good thread: http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62831

I use the Ben Moore Aura, semigloss but I actually put a stipple on the sign face.....sorta like smaltz but not...just me being a little different.

BTW, when I use the Aura, it's not sticky to the touch (for me)

The Moore Glo line is sticky.

Joe,

Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!

showcase 66

Its been a while since I have painted any mdo but I would usually spray it instead of roll it. Most rollers will cause the texture to a flat surface. Also, I cant remember off hand, but some latex paints dont like vinyl to begin with. If it is a kind of paint that you can wash crayon off, it is not going to hold the vinyl well. Not sure about the paint you are using.

Sven

Thanks for the suggestions, that thread was good. I am going to get an Aura sample from my local dealer. I would love to be able to spray and get that super smooth finish, but I just don't have the right setup at my shop. What about 1shot? Anyone have any luck with that? Is it oil or water based? I know it's more expensive than the Benjamin Moore, but if it's water based, I might try it.