• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint protection wrap

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
Just curious about doing full coverage paint protection film wraps.
We have done a few but only on front clips or rocker panels or heavy use areas never a full coverage wrap.
I passed on the project for several reasons this time (with no regrets)The big two being that stuff is great but a bugger to work and with back issues my husband just wasn't up to it now. We have done your standard wraps so we have wrap experience just not the ppf.
Vehicle was a 2016 camaro. Would have been way too low for husband right now.

Just wondering for my own curiosity what brand you have used and your average Sq ft price.

Also, is it as much of a pain in the arse as I imagine?

Thanks for any insight!

reQ

We use XPEL DAP & film exclusively with no regrets. Its not priced by sq/ft but by how complex work is. For example bumpers are usually not that easy to do properly & it reflects in the price. I work with amazing installer, one of the best in Saskatchewan who does it for over 15 years. I try to stay away from it as much as i can & let him do all the work. I can do fenders/hoods but even then there is big difference when compared with his work. Wrapping with vinyl & PPF is different.

reQ

Oh and big difference is - PPF is polyurethane and can stretch a lot but it does not mean you have to stretch everywhere. All patterns (if you do kit install) made to be stretched at certain points etc. Also, XPEL film & few other has top clear coat & if you will stretch to much - it will crack & there is no going back by heating it up, its pretty much garbage.

Silvertip

Silvertip Graphics Signs & Designs, Inc.
I agree with install complexity for price just curious on either the start price or average across the country.
My husband is a darn good installer but has only done maybe a 1/2 dozen ppf projects. So we are aware the learning curve on it, like I said it's a bugger!
He normally would have taken the project and cut his teeth on it till it was a masterpiece likely with a piece or two in the garbage and ultimately that's how he and everyone who does this business has to learn in the end.
Also, opinion on the films, what you have used and why you prefer one more than another?

reQ

I agree with install complexity for price just curious on either the start price or average across the country.
My husband is a darn good installer but has only done maybe a 1/2 dozen ppf projects. So we are aware the learning curve on it, like I said it's a bugger!
He normally would have taken the project and cut his teeth on it till it was a masterpiece likely with a piece or two in the garbage and ultimately that's how he and everyone who does this business has to learn in the end.
Also, opinion on the films, what you have used and why you prefer one more than another?

Xpel makes one of the best film available on the market as of today. Suntek is next, which we also like. Thing is, that XPEL got best package overall - Awesome film & Killer pattern software DAP. Thats why we chose it. Also, you can find prices on XPEL site for different cars. As of price being same across country - its same story like with anything else...some one does it cheap (but not necessary good)

Vinyldog

Getting ready to do my personal car with clear paint protection. I've heard good reviews of XPEL, mainly from Leno on YouTube, but at their web-site they only had the front mask and I want to do the whole vehicle. Also saw an impressive video comparing 3M to XPEL so thinking of Venture shield as well.
I'm also interested in Oracal 280. Any opinions are appreciated.

decalman

I am thinking about delving in paint protection.
Can I create the cut designs or is there some software available that includes every year make and model?
How much force on the blade??

T_K

Can I create the cut designs or is there some software available that includes every year make and model?
How much force on the blade??

I've been using some of Oracal's Stoneguard 270 paint protection film. It's 6mil, and I'm running almost double the cut force than on regular printed/laminated film.

For a full vehicle PPF coverage on a Camaro I'd say 3-4k, easy. The cost of PPF is quite a bit higher than vinyl so it costs quite a bit more than a standard wrap.

The bulk of our business is tint and ppf and I'm not saying XPEL is bad, but it's debatable whether it's the best on the market. We use Llumar who purchased SunTek last year because, yes, SunTek did have one the of the best PPF films on the market. Their new stuff is forgiving, easy to work with, has an awesome finish/top coat, it's pretty awesome.

decalman
How much force on the blade??​

If you really plan on getting into PPF then a lot of manufacturers will "give" you a plotter, pc, and pattern library if you purchase a certain amount of their film per year. Can't remember the number but I want to say it's something like 15k with Llumar. Llumar has a pretty great library that's updated at least weekly.

cgvginc
Getting ready to do my personal car with clear paint protection. I've heard good reviews of XPEL, mainly from Leno on YouTube, but at their web-site they only had the front mask and I want to do the whole vehicle. Also saw an impressive video comparing 3M to XPEL so thinking of Venture shield as well.
I'm also interested in Oracal 280. Any opinions are appreciated.​

Keep in mind that, just like vinyl, you will need to remove this stuff eventually. It's made to go on a horizontal surface, so it'll last longer than vinyl will on your roof or hood, but it will eventually crack, turn yellow, and eat your paint if you wait too long.