• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint protection

AUTO-FX

Hey you guys, it's really really difficult to just 'make a template' with this stuff. Because it needs to be stretched to conform to the surface contour, and the stuff is very stretchy, you cant just "build a template" without a bunch of trial cuts.
Handcut is the way to go on this. I am speaking from installation experience. I've done a bunch of PPF work. You CAN cut the film without cutting the paint beneath, and frequent blade snapping is a must.
I have done some very challenging installs, and after using computer cut templates from XPEL (THE industry leader) and 3M, I'm STILL on the fence as to weather it's better to pre cut or cut on the vehicle.

Patentagosse

Hey you guys, it's really really difficult to just 'make a template' with this stuff. Because it needs to be stretched to conform to the surface contour, and the stuff is very stretchy, you cant just "build a template" without a bunch of trial cuts.
Handcut is the way to go on this. I am speaking from installation experience. I've done a bunch of PPF work. You CAN cut the film without cutting the paint beneath, and frequent blade snapping is a must.
I have done some very challenging installs, and after using computer cut templates from XPEL (THE industry leader) and 3M, I'm STILL on the fence as to weather it's better to pre cut or cut on the vehicle.

+1. Well said. I use 3M's software for over 2 years now but 'had so much trouble getting the material perfectly in desired position that I ended up going back to bulk rolls and manual trimming. I use the template to "figure" the sq.ft. of the jobs and to show customers where it will be applied. :rock-n-roll: